• twelve •

Song: Hurricane -Fleurie

I watched Asmo's eyes as he watched me.

I could only imagine what I looked like. I was still in my night clothes, an old worn out T-shirt and shorts now all drenched in blood. I imagined my silver hair was in disarray, like the bird's nest on my head I woke up to every morning.

All of the men were clean. They were in their expensive, royal and lordly night clothes as well. They didn't have a hair out of place and were all disturbingly handsome.

I still felt more human than faerie.

"Is this a joke?" I managed to say. "Are you making a very bad, sick joke?"

Asmo scoffed. "I wouldn't make a joke like that about our enemy."

"That's," Damien breathed, "impossible."

Asmo shook his head, looking down. "It's only a theory. This girl--her eyes, that power, I've sensed it only in one person before."

I shook my head. "I don't believe this. I just--I can't."

"Where is she?" Julian finally asked.

"Not at the Keep. She is with the guard and Mehnit at a secret location."

Julian seemed amused. "Secret location?"

Asmo's deadly glare turned in his direction. "Yes, secret. I don't want anyone else knowing about her until we ourselves understand her. She was attacked as well. She fell unconscious when I arrived with the guard." He crossed his arms. "Until we know more, I don't want her near Emylin. Call me skeptical but I don't know this girl nor what her end goal is. We found her with a dead light fae, I'm not taking any chances."

"How did you find her?"

Damien's question might as well have thrown ice water on me.

Asmo didn't miss a beat. "Emylin's magic led us there."

"Led you both there? How did you find Emmy?"

I looked at Asmo. I had voiced my suspicions to him but he didn't confirm them. Not outright, at least. "How did you know I was in trouble, Asmo?"

If I expected Asmo to lose his cool, I was very disappointed. "We share magic now, Emylin. I could feel you were in danger. It showed me where to go." He raised an eyebrow. "My question is why you were not here, in the Keep with wards that protect you from attacks like this."

"Not in the Keep?" Julian echoed. "If you were not in the Keep, where were you?"

I swallowed unsure of how to answer.

"Em," Damien's smooth voice said. "You're all right now, you're safe. I think you need a moment to yourself." He extended a hand. "I'll take you to your room to freshen up. We can talk about this-all of this-in the morning."

I nodded absently. With everything that happened, I had to gather my thoughts. "You're right. I need a moment. I need to think." I began to move but noticed Julian's fingers still held on to my own.

How had we managed to hold hands so intimately while talking with the others? How did I not noticed? When I looked at his eyes again, I realized he had done it on purpose.

And he didn't seem keen on letting go.

Damien noticed Julian's hesitation to let me go. "Emylin is safe here. She will not be leaving. We will see you tomorrow morning to discuss our next steps. If what Asmo says is true, we will need you." Damien turned to someone behind us. "Someone please let Perri know Lord Julian will be staying in one of the guest rooms." He looked at Julian. "I hope that's all right."