6 | Dalia

Now | Summer 2018

By the time Liz arrived to pick me up, we were already late to the party.

Fashionably late, as she put it.

Jayden Parker knew how to throw a party.

I guess he went a little out with this one.

We all had finally graduated high school after all.

Surviving that hell was a pretty big deal.

Liz tossed the keys of her car at me once we got out. "I think I'm gonna drink tonight."

She was practically cornering me into not drinking, but I didn't say anything.

There was no way I was going to drink, anyway.

True to her word, Liz went straight to the kitchen, where the alcohol was stored.

And, for the first time in my life, I didn't know what to do at a party.

I stood inside the open patio doors, the loud music blaring from behind me, and contemplated whether I should just abandon this shit and walk away now.

I could have walked away before, when it was less harmful.

I decided that I shouldn't be standing alone and brooding, not really appealing is it?

So I turned to back in the house when I caught a glimpse of two shiny blond heads in the garden.

The Byres twins.

My heart momentarily stopped.

Caleb looked up and met my stare.

My heart started again, at double pace this time.

It is stupid, I told myself. Act like an adult and talk to him. He needs to know.

You need him to know.

You need him.

All Rights Reserved