17 | Crystal

Now | Summer 2018

Caleb and I were running towards Mav in an instant.

I gasped when I saw him kneeling, cradling his hand to his chest, a gash on his palm.

When I looked closer, it wasn't gash, it was a burn.

Caleb was saying something, I couldn't comprehend what it was.

All was quiet noise.

Till I heard a soft chuckle.

No, not soft. Menacing.

Like a sneer you mistake for a smile.

My eyes shot up. There he was, on the other side of the fence, his hands tucked into his jeans, looking at me with a slight twist on his lips.

"Finally someone decided to head out. I've been bored outta my mind waiting."

Caleb stood up from his position next to Mav on the ground and took a threatening step towards the fence.

"Careful, I just gave Mav here a warning, next one to touch it would be dead." Adam said, eyeing the fence as if it was giving him life.

"What the hell!" I exclaimed when I found my voice. "Why would you pull something like that?"

Even in the darkness, there was no mistaking the look of amusement on his face. "Oh, I'm sorry, darling. Did I give you a scare?"

"Watch it." Caleb spat. "Quit whatever this is and open the door. We have an emergency."

Adam sniggered. "It's not an emergency. He's already dead, that Daniel bloke."

I flinched at his words.

Caleb opened his mouth but Adam beat him to it. "It's your turn now," his voice was dead, empty. "We play a game, and I won't lose."

All Rights Reserved