15 | Dalia

Now | Summer 2018

"She isn't in here."

"Checked every room. Can't find her."

There was thinly veiled panic in those sentences spoken by Noah and Jayden.

Trying in vain to suppress my own rising anxiety, I said, "she must be upstairs, then."

So we rushed to the first floor, calling Liza's name continuously.

I was forcing my mind not to dwell upon the fact that most of our peers downstairs claimed that Daniel attempted to take his own life.

No, don't think about that right now, that's reserved for your numerous sleepless nights.

Suddenly, I was desperate to find Liza safe.

Bursting through the first door in sight, I looked around. It was a bathroom.

Then I noticed her, her dark hair clinging to the side of her face, heavy with water.

I held my breath as I walked towards her.

"Liz?" I barely heard my own voice.

She was sitting in the tub, fully clothed, with her knees drawn to her chest.

I looked way from her miserable frame and an involuntary shriek escaped my lips when I saw the pale pink water.

She looked up at the noise, untangling her arms from around herself.

I saw the sliced wrists and the razor clutched in her left hand.

Water and tears flowed together down her face, but none of them did the job of washing away her pains.

"I'm so sorry." She sobbed.

And due to lack of anything to say, I knelt down and hugged her.

All Rights Reserved