8 | Dalia

Now | Summer 2018

Half and hour into the party and I'd avoided Caleb at all costs because I couldn't work up a way to approach him.

I mentally slapped myself.

Miscommunication was the exact reason we weren't together anymore.

I didn't have my phone to distract myself, Jayden wanted this party to be perfect, where we actually socialized without an update on social media every minute, so he got his housekeeper to collect all our phones before entering the property.

It's wasa huge property, with a big house near the lake and a small one at the outskirts, near the boundary wall.

Jayden had gone all out and even locked the main iron doors, which were, according to the invitation, the only means of getting in and out of the property. I knew that was lie because there was a back door that only we, the closest friends of Jayden knew about.

He said we need to enjoy this night; his housekeeper would drive down to unlock the doors the next day, noon.

I didn't know what I think of that arrangement yet.

Focus, Lia! You need to focus on Caleb.

I sighed, maybe a party wasn't where I should've been telling him that his ex-girlfriend, who was still very much in love with him, was pregnant with his child.

Our child.

God, I can't keep this to myself anymore.

As I turned to go out to the lake, where I had seen Caleb going earlier, a hand grasped my shoulder and I gasped quietly.

"There you are!" I recognized the voice, it didn't waver, but I knew he had had a few drinks.

Groaning slightly, I turned to meet the brown eyes of Adam Lynch.

All Rights Reserved