27 | The Funeral

July 30, 2018

All was so dull; moving yet so still.

Four large portraits were displayed in the arch, surrounded by flowers of colors the dead couldn't see. Caleb was smiling at the camera, the sun reflecting in his eyes as he challenged Crystal to race to the beach. The picture showed a close-up of his face, so unbelievably happy it hurt Crystal and Dalia to look at him. Liza was smiling too, her dark hair framing her face; she was perhaps finally happy besides Daniel, who looked handsome in a nerdy sort of way with clean features and dark rimmed glasses perched upon his nose. The only unsmiling portrait was that of Adam Kent; even in the picture, he was unmistakably smirking.

Crystal Byres sat at the front seats, next to her very quiet father and helplessly sobbing mother. Crystal stared at her brother's closed casket with bleak eyes. She hadn't spoken a word in these past couple days - the eulogy was a mess she hoped her brother would forgive her for; hadn't slept; barely eaten. All she did was clutch her twin locket in one hand and hold Dalia's pale hand in the other.

Dalia Waters had her right arm protectively curled around her stomach, where it had been since Crystal took her left hand. Dalia had her chin slightly tilted upwards as if daring anyone to make a remark about her unborn child. Both her and Crystal were holding onto that little angel, the living remain of Caleb Byres.

Maverick was still at the hospital, recovering.

When Crystal finally gathered up the courage to scan the pictures hung ahead, she felt a hand on her shoulder. Looking up she found Jayden White's deep brown eyes. They were dim, unsettled by the loss of his friends, most importantly, his best friend, his soul brother, Caleb.

They were left a broken bunch, Crystal thought, but they'd be dammed if they let the monsters get away with this.

All Rights Reserved