05 | Stay or Get Out

I struggled to sleep all night. I had been lying here for hours. Staring out into the darkness of the room. I wasn't comfortable being so close to him. I turn my head to look at the clock on the side table.

5:06am

"What the hell am I doing here?" I think to myself "Who am I? I don't know these people, can I trust them?

A familiar feeling spreads across my body. The desperation to leave, get out. My breath hitches. I pause for a moment, slowing my inhales. Listening for Damien's breath. He's asleep. I sit up slowly, moving my feet to the floor. Placing them silently. I begin to lean forward trying to avoid the weight shift of the bed

Grab

I feel a tight grip on my wrist. "I don't think so." I look back to see him staring my dead in my eyes. We stare at each other for a few moments. Not sure what to say. He pulls me back down forcefully and wraps his hands around my waist, pulling me into a spoon. I frown looking down at my pillow.

"You will be fine. I promise." He whisper in my ear. He props himself up on his elbow, hovering over me. He moves his hand to the side of my face and turns my chin towards him. I keep my gaze down, avoiding eye contact. Holding my breath, sinking into the bed to create distance between us. Embarrassed he just caught me trying to leave. He uses his available hand to brush a strand of hair from my face and behind my ear. I tense, feeling his body against mine. So cold...

I shiver as his fingers slide across from my forehead and down my cheek to my ear. He chuckles softly. "I do make you nervous." He grins, I say nothing. He lies back down and closes his eyes. I sit for awhile in Damien's tight embrace. Leaning away from him as much as he would let me. Exhaustion soon takes over...

----------------------------------------------———

I wake up to a beautiful sunrise. No longer feeling Damien behind me. My eyes adjust as I open them. I sit up quickly and scan the room.

"No one is here..." I pause, listening. I jump out of bed and throw on my shoes, running towards the window. Tripping over myself as I adjust my shoes. I unhook the latch, pushing it open and begin climbing out onto the balcony.

Damien enters the room as I step outside of the window. I freeze and hide behind the wall. His gaze darts around the room.

"Aryah?" He calls out, almost confused. He makes his way to the other side of the room. Poking his head into the bathroom to see nothing. "Fuck sakes" I hear him yell.

I hear his footsteps coming closer towards the window. My heart beat increases, the blood rushing through my veins. Not knowing what to do, I jump from the balcony. Falling two stories onto the cold, damp, morning grass. Ugh.

He makes his way to the window. Looking down at me. "Sneaky little noble, aren't ya?" He whispers to himself.

I take a second to collect myself. "Ouch." I look back up to the window to see if he had caught on. Damn I can't see. I walk backwards towards the front yard, in attempt to see if anyone was at the window.

Until I walk into what feels like a rock wall. My body moves to stone. I slowly peek over my shoulder. Of course. The person that finds me fleeing is Jace

"I knew it." He sounds almost proud. I slowly turn around to face him. Before I have the chance to run, he leans in grabbing underneath my armpit; Attempting to pull me back inside. I pull away and somehow manage to squirm away and run towards the forest. I almost make it to the entrance. I look behind me to see Jace angrily charging at me. I look back in front of me. Stopping dead in my tracks, falling backwards onto my ass. Cain. Cain and two young ladies stand in front of me. Confused.