25| The Last Zone

As we walk through the zone I can't help but cringe. How could people live like this? Even the poor animals were sifting through the filth. We walked down the streets, not being able to avoid walking on garbage, but very careful not to step on broken glass; from who knows what. As we were about to pass by an alleyway Damien shoots out his arm to block me from walking further. He turns around with his index finger to his lips, signalling me to be quiet. I look around to see the usual poor citizen, doing their own thing, quietly. That was it, they were quiet. Yelling echoes from the alleyway causing me to jump at the sudden sound. Without thinking I take a few steps forward to see what was happening. Two female soldiers had cornered a young women. She looked beaten up and tattered. My heart immediately ached for her. "Who are those women!?" I whisper to Damien, who's eyes are fixed on the young lady as well. "Soldiers from my brothers army." He whispers seriously with a hint of sadness. One of the soldiers raises her arm and back hands the poor young girl, causing her to twist and fall into the pile of filth behind her. They laugh as she scurries away from it. Based on their body language it seems they are warning her, before finally turning around walking in our direction.

Damien grabs my arm and pulls me into the shadowy wall. My heart thumping in my chest, I slap my hand over my mouth to reduce the sound of my breathing. Thankfully the two soldiers decide to turn left from the alley, instead of towards us. Now I knew the coast was clear I push myself off the wall and turn the corner. Only to run into the young women, almost colliding into her. We both gasp, but she jumps and begins to tremble. "P-please, I don't have anything to give." She cowers as her shaky hands pat over her body, telling me she has not a cent to her name. "I-I only have my clothes." Tears fill her eyes. I throw down my back pack and reach inside to pull out my water cantene and some remaining food. I hand it to her but she just stares at my hands, as if it were impossible someone could do such a kind act. "No, I-I can't accept this." Finally Damien comes around the corner. I'm not sure why he had taken so long to make an appearance. "This is no gift. It is a human right." He says seriously. She flinches at the sight of him but quickly grabs the food and water from my hands and scarfs it down, barely giving herself time to breath. My eyes widen at her but Damien just looks sad. "Are you not being fed?" He asks quietly. Without looking up she responds with a mouth full of food and water. "All supplies are given to the soldiers. We don't have money or strength to go to the capital."

She glances up at me. "You're not from here?" She slowly looks me over from head to toe. "You could be killed if anyone saw you. Why would you come here?" She turns her gaze to Damien and she immediately chokes on her food. She drops to her knees and bows her head to the floor. "Your grace, please, please forgive me for not noticing you!" I take a step back in surprise at her sudden reaction. "How could you accept such behavior. I must be punished. What a disgrace!" She rambles on as we both stare down at her stunned. Damien kneels down and gently grabs her hand, signalling her to rise and stand. She resists at first, she looked more confused as tears spill from her eyes. "Please stand." Damien says softly. She slowly stands as she looks back and forth from both of our faces. "Please forgive me." She whispers as she hangs her head in shame. "There is nothing to forgive you for." He says sweetly and a few more tears of relief slide down her cheeks. "Are you here to save us?" She says in a quiet desperation. Damien's face pains and shakes his head. "I'm here to see the state of the royal quarter. Don't give up. My brother and I are very much committed to this cause." She reaches for his hand and squeezes it tightly, bowing her head. "I could not thank you enough." She holds his hand in both of hers, leaning over to give it a soft kiss, smiling. "Good luck, your grace. Please be careful around here, it's not safe." Damien chuckles. "I am not concerned about my safety, but thank you." She smiles and turns to me, grabbing my hands and doing the same as she did to Damien. Holding my hands she turns her head to Damien. "You are the true ruler, and I will gladly bow to your feet when the time comes." She gives us both a small smile before running off down the street.