12| Lost Within

A wave of paralysis takes over my body, starting at my feet. I flinch as she takes a step closer to me. She stops as she notices my confusion. I'm speechless. She furrows her brows at me as she brings her foot into her other, standing across the room from me.

"H-how?" I manage to croak out. "Wha... what did you say?"

She runs towards me, wrapping her arms around me in a tight embrace. My arms lay limply by the sides of my body. "I can't believe it. I can't believe you're here." She whispers in my ear.

She holds onto me for another moment before placing her hands on my shoulders and pushing me away from her gently. A sudden sense of urgency in her voice, panic in her eyes, she was trying to spit out what she had to say as fast as she could, almost tripping over her words. "Listen, there's something you need to know."

Still lost in my own thoughts, I completely ignore her. "How do you know my name?" I scan her face, taking in every detail. No recognition, I don't know who she is. She sees me trying to figure her out, she then changes her expression from panic to confusion as well. "Aryah, it's me?"

I study her face again. "Aryah, what happened to you?" her eyes glance over my shoulder and her face falls, taking a step back away from me. I turn around to see Ria standing in the doorway, leaning on the frame. She raises an eyebrow as an ear to ear smile grows on her face. "Woah! cut the tension in here, am I right?" She says as she nudges my arm with her elbow before stopping in between myself and the small girl. She places her hands on her hips and looks back and forth between us a few times. "So this is awkward." She looks to me. "Anyways, Damien and I are done. I'm sure you'd like to see him." Her voice is honeyed, sweet, but fake. She ends it with rolling her eyes, confirming my suspicion.

I Ignore her, look back to the small girl. "Oh, u-um yeah. I should go see him." I internally panic as I don't feel ready to face this. I turn to walk out of the room. "Aryah, wait!" She reaches out to me. I look over my shoulder as she takes a few quick steps towards me but Ria walks in front of her, standing in the way. I stare for a moment and then exit the room.

"What the fuck do you think your doing." Ria whips her head to the girl, shoving her back. "I-I-" She begins to speak. "No. I should have killed you when I had the chance." She grabs the collar of her shirt, twisting it and bringing her towards her, whispering in her ear. "You don't know how lucky you are that the prince was there in the forest."

"W-wait please, I-I wo...n't..." Her voice begins to cut out. She grabs her throat in response to her lack of voice. Ria looked strangely happy with the result.

------------------------------------------—————

I run down the stairs and through the main hall, not noticing Morgan had been standing to the side. "Hey babe!" She calls out to me. I stop in my tracks and turn around the face her, panic filling my face. "If anyone asks, please tell them I went to take a nap and I do not want to be disturbed." Her face twists in confusion. "Please Morgan, don't let Damien bother me." I say specifically. "I just need some time to myself." She nods at me lightly and I burst through the front doors. She stares at the door for a few moments, contemplating going after me.

"Hey, have you seen Aryah?" His voice takes her out of her thoughts. She whips her head to the opposite side and sees Damien standing in the arched doorway. She gulps the lump in her throat. Conflicted. She had never lied to Damien, nor did she ever want to. He was her prince afterall, royalty. "Yeah, she just walked that way." her voice hoarse. "She said she's not feeling well, shes going to take a nap. She wants to be left alone." She clears her throat. He scoffs and raises an eyebrow, he doesn't care if I want to be alone. "I'll go check on her." He begins to walk towards the stairs. Morgan jumps in front of him. "No!" She throws up her hands to stop him. He furrows his brows and widens his eyes. "Calm down, what the hell is your problem?" She takes a step back and lowers her hands. "Sorry, she just seemed really adamant about being alone."