30| Coming Together

Hey babies! Sorry updates will be a bit slow. I'm in British Columbia right now and had to leave my laptop at home for a family member. I'm attempting to write this through my phone and iPad so please bare with me! Love you all 😘 xoxo
--------------------------------------------

"Who are you? Let's start there." Chris nods and takes a deepbreath. "Parts of what I tell you, will make more sense when your memories fully return." I nod impatiently, he continues. "I was taken from my home, like many of your friends. As you know, many guards ransacked homes known to hold lights. I was one of the unlucky few to actually get caught. I never had parents, they left me at the door to an orphanage when I was a few days old and I had been there ever since." He looks to the floor as a pained expression spreads across his face. "How did you find out you were an essence?" He leans against the cell, crossing his arms. "I always knew I was different. I could do things and a caretaker caught me practicing one day. They never let me forget that I was different and they never treated me the same after that. By the time Kai had gone on a mission to find an essence, I was nearly eighteen. They came to the orphanage looking for me." He pauses and I take this moment to ask a question that's been running through my mind for awhile. "Why are there so few lights? Why are we so rare?" Chris scoffs and shakes his head. "We've never been really accepted. Many have gone into hiding or sadly committed suicide." His voice trails off as he finishes that sentence. A heavy weight fills my chest when he says that. "W-what happened when they caught you?" I lean my face against the cell, feeling the cold metal beneath my skin. "Kai spared my life. He gave me a choice. He asked me to become an experiment. He wanted to merge light with dark. Life with Death. Purely to become the most poweful being with both abilities of each side. I didn't understand why he would spare my life. He told me he didn't want to waste such a gift. He explained everything to me in great detail. He gauranteed I would leave with both shadow and essence abilities, to be powerful. After all those years in the orphanage feeling so powerless... It was incredibly appealing. I decided to do it and we started immediately. Because Kai is a direct descendant of death, he has the ability to turn another into a shadow, with limited abilities compared to him. But I, am not a direct descendant, I am unable to create another essence, nor have I ever heard of that happening. Just as the shadows Kai, Cain or Damien create, they don't have the ability to change others either. Because of this, they were able to mix my abilities with his, however I was not able to excrete my essence for him."

I shift uncomfortably for a moment as I process all of this information. "You're half shadow?" He shrugs. "I don't know about half, my light abilities dominate my shadow abilities, but I do have some." He sighs and shifts, holding the bars in front of me. "He's looking for a direct descendant of the light guardian to see if his theory is right. He's greatly misunderstood." I shake my head and furrow my brows. "How can you say that? I've seen the Royal Quarter. It's a trash can and the people in it are suffering." Chris shakes his head. "Every cent he has is going towards the war. It's unfortunate that the people are paying for it." I push myself off of the bars and raise my voice. "His soldiers are abusing their power. They treat the people disgustingly." Chris crosses his arms as annoyance fills his expression. "You need to understand his soldiers fear him immensely but they fear Death more. Death has been controlling a majority of his army for a long time now." I raise my eyebrows, "Does Kai know this?" Chris nods sadly. "Kai will easily lose against him. The rumor of the reason he is looking for a light is just show. He can't tell Death that he's trying to gain power to take over from Death himself." I cross my arms and rub my temple. "So why are you here? What is the point of you coming?" Chris turns around and slumps down onto the bed. "I want you to see the otherside. Kai is not the enemy, Death is." I scoff at him. "You want me to convince Damien and Cain to help him?" Chris shrugs awkwardly and diverts his gaze. "How does he know me?" Chris's gaze shifts to me as he hesitates to answer my question. "That will come with your memories. I think it's best you process what I've told you. It would be too obvious if you walk upstairs and suddenly remember everything. Once you convince them, I will help bring your memories back to you." I sigh and pace back and forth a few times. "Fine. I'll talk to Damien and Cain tonight." Chris nods at me. "Have a good night, Aryah."