Prologue

Four-year-old Ansel runs through the Evergreen Forest, teetering on his tiny legs. His light brown hair bouncing in tight curls as the wind blows rather harshly against his reddened cheeks. His big blue eyes widen at the sight of all of the small animals he spots.

Ansel, weaker than most because of his omega status, would always be tiny. The pack never looked down on him for this. No, they loved him. They enjoyed his company and found his smile so adorable. The Alpha of the Blue Moon Pack, Blake, has put his son Greyson with Ansel to always keep an eye on him and protect him. A good Alpha protects all of his pack members. No matter how big or small. Weak or strong. Blake always says to his son.

Eight-year-old Greyson felt a connection to the little boy. The way Ansel smiled made his heart squeeze. The way his little hand grabbed for his when Ansel was in need of comfort.

Ansel's mother died giving birth to him. Without a mother to stay home with him while Beta Aamon worked, Ansel was placed in with Greyson and the nanny that had watched him. They had been friends ever since that day. Ansel following Greyson around every second of the day.
         In a big palace where he was referred to as the prince, he wasn't allowed to play with the other children. He loved that Ansel was there to make him feel like a normal child. On the day he turned eighteen, he would officially be the crowned prince and it helped ease the stress knowing that Ansel would always be by his side. Even when one day he was to become King, he would make Ansel stay so that they would always be friends and play as much hide n seek as Ansel wanted to.

           "Slow down Ansel! We're almost there. I don't want you to fall." Greyson laughs as Ansel toddles faster. Once they reach the clearing Greyson instructs Ansel to stay close to the clearing.

         "Mhmm," Ansel says, impatient.

          "Alright. I'll count first and you go hide." Greyson turns around and leans his forehead against a large sequoia tree. The bark scratching his soft skin. He begins to count.

        "One...two...three..." Greyson's voice gets quieter as Ansel runs through the woods. Dodging tree roots and rocks. Ansel heard a slight dripping on the leaves before the rain comes down hard, pelting harshly onto his skin. But determined to win the game, he keeps going onward.

Greyson's scent gets washed away by the rain but Ansel still continues to run. He hears Greyson call out to him from behind. He sounded so far away. Ansel smiles at this. This time would be the time that he wins.

       Greyson calls out to Ansel in a panic. If he can't find Ansel and something happens to him things will not go down good. Ansel could be hurt or run into rouges and Greyson wouldn't know.

Greyson runs his hand through his wet black hair. His tanned skin taking on a pale color. His light hazel eyes darting around, looking for a little hunched over shape in the shadows.

        "Ansel!" Greyson screams into the air. The sky was quickly darkening. Greyson makes a quick decision and sprints back towards the palace. He sees the large castle ahead of him and bursts through the front entrance.

        "Father!" Greyson cries out in desperation. Many maids rush towards him. All blabbering at once.

"Your Highness!"

           "You must be so cold! Let's get you some blankets!"

         "I'll get the fireplace going!"