Sixteen

Ansel

     It was late at night and I had climbed up onto the roof of the palace to get some much needed fresh air. I gaze up at the shimmering stars, wondering how they shine so bright.

     Rumi had gone off with Collin to catch up with his little brother after so many years of missing out on each other's lives. Aamon had been in the library the last I had seen him. I let him be. Father was with Mother, who had retired to bed early after meeting with me. When Mother first saw me she fainted and proceded to faint again when I announced the news that I was pregnant with the next Queen in line for the kingdom.

      Mother requested Father to stay with her so he climbed into bed with her and wished me a good night's sleep. But when I got to my bedchamber I found that neither of my mates was there. So here I am now, on the roof of the palace, staring at the dark, moonless sky.

     I smell Greyson's scent drifting closer and I hear him climbing up to where I am. He silently lays down next to me, taking my hand into his warm ones. We are both quiet for many minutes. Not an awkward silence, but a peaceful one. Greyson chuckles softly to himself and I glance up at him curiously.

    "I never thought that I would be in this situation. I imagined my future being the ruler of my fathers' kingdom. But after I met you and Rumi, I could not just stand there and let my father say those hurtful things to you. I knew what I needed to do. I had to do what was best for me. Being with both of my mates even though I knew my relationship with my father would crumble."

"Thank you for never giving up on me, Greyson."

      I feel my eyes droop and I am able to stay awake just in time to hear Greyson's whispered words just before I fall asleep.

      "I love you, Ansel."

     When I wake up I am back inside my bedchamber, Rumi and Greyson both asleep on either side of me. Rumi and Greyson's hands are joined together as their arms are draped over me. I smile, gently placing my hand over theirs as to not wake them.

       I slowly and carefully slide out of their hold and make my way out of my bedchamber. I follow the now-familiar scent of Aamon and find myself standing in front of Augustus' bedchamber. I knock twice on the door and wait patiently. After a couple of seconds, the door opens to reveal a tired-looking Augustus. The first thing that I notice is the fresh mating mark in the crook of his neck and shoulder. I should not intrude since the time for bonding after mating is very intimate for mates, but I want to show Aamon one of my favorite places as a pup while it is still early in the morning so he feels like he can get to know me more.

     "Is Aamon awake yet?" I ask. Augustus steps out of the way to reveal a shirtless Aamon propped up on the bed, eating porridge out of a bowl.

     "Ansel," Aamon gasps excitedly. "Come in, come in! We were just talking about you!"

     "You were?"

     "All good things, of course," Augustus chimes in. "I was telling Aamon about all of the times that you and I would sneak into the kitchen to steal treats when you were a pup and I used to watch you. What a silly pup you were." I smile at the memories of me and Augustus pretending to be stealthy warriors on a mission to rescue captives held at a top-secret enemy base. The captives, being the desserts and other sweet treats, and the enemies being the angry cooks chasing after us with wooden spoons.

     "Aamon," I start. "If you do not mind, I would like to take you to my garden. I planted all of the fruit trees and flowers myself when I was younger. It is a very special place to me and only my Mother, Father, Augustus, and now my mates are allowed in. I would like to share it with you as well since you are family and it would mean a lot to me if you would allow me to take you now before the sun rises. There is a small lake in the center and when the sun hits it just right as it rises it makes the lake so much more beautiful. I would love to take you if you want to go."

     I fidget nervously as I wait for Aamon to answer.

     "Of course I'll go with you, Ansel. I would be delighted. Would you mind stepping out for a few to wait for me? I need to get dressed in proper clothing and then we can both go."

     I smile at Aamon and excuse myself from Augustus' bedchamber. I wait for about five minutes before Aamon comes out of the bedchamber, walking with a significant limp. He catches me looking and blushes, a deep cherry red color blooming all the way up to his ears. I say nothing, as I know exactly how he feels.

       We make our way out of the palace, taking a shortcut through the field to my garden. I show Aamon all of my fruit trees filled with apples, peaches, pears, cherries, and oranges. I guide him over to the petunias and daisies and roses and many of the other flowers growing there in their own neat little areas of the garden.

      And finally, as the sun begins to rise in the garden, I bring Aamon to the lake. Three swans swim on the lake, and frogs begin their croaking calls to one another. The sun shines across the lake, making the blue surface glitter and shine. Aamon takes my hand in his, bringing it up to his lips and gently kissing the middle of my palm.

      "Thank you for showing me this, Ansel. I appreciate that you would even consider bringing me to a place that you hold very dear in your heart."

     "I figured I should take you here first. I want you to get to know me because we never got the chance to bond properly together when I was a pup. I want to be able to come to you when I need guidance as well as going to Father. After all, you too, are my father."

     When I called Aamon 'Father', his eyes well up with tears. He pulls me into a tight hug and buries his face into the crook of my neck where my scent glands are. I feel his warm tears drip onto my skin with a soft patter. I wrap my arms around Aamon and slide my hand up and down his back to calm his shaking.

     "I love you, Ansel. I want to be the father to you that I never got to be. I know that I will never replace or come above my brother in your heart, for he has raised you. But I accept this and choose to stand beside you and offer my comfort when you need it. I will be a good father to you, I promise."

     "I know you will," I whisper against his warm shoulder. "I know."