Eight

Rumi

Ansel and I wake before the sun rises. We eat a quick breakfast of biscuits and jam before packing up food for our journey to Alpha Asmodeus' Kingdom.

Ansel stays close to me as we step out of the cabin and into the woods. The sky-still a deep blueish black- casts ominous shadows over the land.

A crow caws in the distance, causing Ansel to squeak, nestling right up next to me. I smirk at him while draping my arm across his trembling shoulders.

Ansel stays close to me as we hike in the forest. He finally pulls away some as the sun begins to rise. He grasps my hand tightly as we continue walking north.

After miles of hiking through the rough terrain, Ansel freezes in his place.
"What," I ask him. "What is wrong, mate?"

Ansel's eyes widen. Still, he does not utter a single word to me. And then... I hear it.
The sound of paws thundering noisily on the ground.

"It's alpha Blake's warriors," Ansel finally whispers. "I recognize their scent. They are coming for me." Ansel sobs softly and clings to my arm.

I snarl, gripping Ansel's tiny form closer to me.

"I won't let them take you," I growl. "Shift!" I order him. Ansel squeaks, shifting into his tiny brown wolf. I shift into my large wolf and pick Ansel up by his scruff.

     I take off in another direction trying to take the wolves off our trail. I zig-zag through the trees as I hold my whimpering mate.

      The wolves still chase after us, howling and growling at me to surrender.

     I know that he must feel uncomfortable but this may be a life or death situation for us.

      My heart pounds as I dash towards a clearing in the trees. I break through the forest to find another small cottage that I was completely unaware was in such close vicinity to mine.

       The scents of the warrior wolves are far behind us but approaching fast. The overwhelming scent of rotting decay fills my nostrils. I scrunch up my nose in disgust as I recognize the smell of a full-fledged feral rogue wolf.

      The door to the cottage opens, revealing three Rouge wolves. Once they see us they shift into their ugly feral wolves. Ansel whimpers in distress as he tries to struggle out of my hold.
     The three rouges snarl at us, starting to close the distance between.

      I snap out of my daze and force my wolf to run. I let him fully take over my body so we would be able to run faster.

My wolf carries us for about an hour. My heart feels like it is about to break through our sternum because of how fast it is beating.

        Ansel whimpers softly so I stop running to catch my breath. Ansel rubs his tiny body along mine and licks over my eyes and across my muzzle.

      He nods his head over to the left where a small stream runs through. I pant harshly as I drag my paws across the forest floor. I collapse as soon as my snout touches the cool water of the stream. The water bubbling over me as I flip down into it.