Two

Ansel

I watch from the bottom of the palace stairs outside as many people filter into the palace's Throne Room. The sky is a deep blue with a smidge of orangey yellows still present from the receding sun. A crescent moon begins to show in the sky.

Men in fancy suits are accompanied by women in elegant dresses. Many children dance into the room as well, giggling with friends and family.

          The throne is connected to the ballroom. They are both made to fit the entire kingdom so they could all witness the next royal member's crowning.

           I have my face and body covered by a green cloth so no one will know from my attire that I am the prince. Not one single commoner outside of the palace knows what I look like. Portraits of me are only made public when I come of age, which is tonight.

          When everyone is seated I will walk through the Grand doors and approach the three thrones. Father will present me with my crown. After, we will dance the night away.

          Then I sneak off to stay safe during a possible attack my uncle's pack was making threats saying that if we didn't give back what was theirs they would take it by force. Whatever that was. Women and children will be put in a giant safe zone. I will be isolated for my safety.

Darius, a warrior wolf, walks up to me. He was tasked to make sure that no townspeople missed the ceremony.

Darius is a very close companion of mine. He was tasked with keeping an eye on me. A personal guard. I prayed to the Moon Goddess every night. Hoping that Darius would be my mate. But Darius had found his mate earlier this year. I was happy for him but the slightest bit disappointed that we were not mates.

"It is time Your Highness." Darius grins, holding out his hand for me to take. I grasp his hand tightly as we make our way to the entrance. Darius hurries through the side entrance. I knew he would be stationed on the far end of the throne room, and I feel a little less nervous knowing that he is there for me.

I ditch the stuffy clothes and take a deep breath of the cool air. I am dressed in a royal blue outfit. Blue was chosen to be my color. One that I would be seen in most of the events I will attend.

           Just as Father's color was red and Mother's is purple. It was a tradition to wear the same color jewels as the past king's color.

            I step forward, confidently pushing the doors open. The throne room's walls are gold decorated in red curtains. Crystal chandeliers hang from the ceiling. The three thrones are placed at the top of a set of five steps. Red cloth coming down the aisle and up the stairs to Father's throne. His throne was gold with a softly cushioned seating. Mothers' seating was a deep purple color. Mine was a royal blue.

Mother smiles at me from her seat. She wears a royal blue ball gown to represent me. Her silver crown with purple gemstones gleams atop her head. Her black hair in an elegant updo. Jewels adorn her ears, and around her throat and wrists. Her brown eyes meet mine. She gives me a gentle encouraging smile. I smile back.

Everyone turns in their pews to get the first look of their prince. They all take in my scent to memorize me and to recognize that I was their prince. I begin striding down the aisle, walking as Father does. Head up. Shoulders back. Making what I hope is a serious face. The crowd begins to erupt into cheers, smiling at me. I feel my cheeks heat up.