Repurposed

Darkness.

That was the first thing I saw as my optical units whirred back to life, allowing me to see again.

Talking.

I could hear a Danish man and woman converse as my audio processor came back online, soft ringing audible like background noise for a moment before it faded away.

Emotions.

I felt them for a brief moment before my Thirium pump restarted, sending Thirium 310 through my body and erasing any thought of "feelings".

"I'm looking for an android, one that can do housework, cook, that kind of thing."

I opened my eyes when I heard two pairs of footsteps approach me, the voices sounding like the ones I had heard earlier.

The man with the bald head I recognized instantly as Brian Rogers, age thirty, occupation-android salesman.

Upon further analyzation, I gleaned that the woman's name was Signe Hansen, age twenty-three, origin Denmark, sign Aries, hair color dark brown, eye color...

No matter how long I looked at her eyes, I couldn't determine the exact shade of brown they were.

"I've never seen an AX400 model that looks like a man." Signe remarked as she walked around me, studying me as if I was an animal in a zoo.

"I can assure you, they're just as good, if not better, than the female AX models." Brian assured Signe.

I attempted to flash her a smile as she looked me in the eyes, hoping it would pass as friendly.

"Does it have a name?" Signe questioned Brian, looking away from me to turn her attention to the salesman.

"Nope, I usually leave that up to the customer." Brian stated.

Signe glanced back at me with a thoughtful expression, her eyes betraying her uncertainty as she considered her options.

"How much is it?" Signe asked Brian, her gaze still fixated on me.

"Well, since you look like a lovely gal, I'll lower the price to nine-hundred." Brian offered.

Signe wordlessly dug through her bag and handed Brian the requested amount, earning a grin from the salesman.

"C'mon you, follow her." Brian directed me gruffly.

I stepped off of the display pedestal I was standing on and followed Signe to her car, pausing outside of the vehicle as she climbed in.

The sky was a light gray shade, dark clouds that blocked the sun rumbling threateningly overhead.

"You can sit in the passenger seat." She told me gently.

I nodded and did as she wanted, buckling up in the seat next to her before she started the car.

I watched the world whiz by in a blur of colors, rain beginning to drizzle from the sky as Signe started driving home.

"Green is an interesting hair color choice." Signe remarked casually after a moment of silence.

I ran a hand through the fluffy green hair on my head, nearly forgetting it was my default color I had when I was in Ireland.

"I can change my appearance if you so desire." I offered, causing Signe to smile slightly.

"That'd be great, I would like your hair to look more...natural." Signe admitted kindly, as if worried that she would offend me.

I nodded and lightly tapped the LED on the side of my head, causing the green hair to gradually turn a coffee bean shade of brown that Signe seemed to like.

"Is this color okay?" I asked Signe, my finger hovering by the LED in case I needed to change the color again.

"It looks great." Signe replied, looking at my hair before she pulled up in front of a simple looking house.

"C'mon." Signe beckoned me as she got out of the car, motioning for me to follow her.

I walked after her into the house to see the walls lined with art, as well as the wall by the stairs.

The living room had a simple tv, a tan coffee table, a matching tan couch, and carpeted floor that sank under my feet with each step.

"I'll let you get adjusted here before I put you to work." Signe told me before she disappeared up the stairs.

I wandered into the kitchen to see a small round table and two chairs, a chandelier hanging overhead providing light.

I opened the white fridge out of curiosity to find it filled with leftovers that were still good after I scanned them.

"What are you doing?"

I quickly whirled around to see Signe standing behind me dressed in a pair of pj pants and a t-short instead of the baggy black sweater and jeans she was wearing earlier.

"I thought androids don't eat." Signe teased, her eyes sparkling with humor.

"Androids do not require food, we only need Thirium 310 to function for-"

"I was only kidding, I forgot that androids take everything so seriously." Signe interrupted hastily.

I fell silent as Signe shut the fridge door behind me, glass clanging behind me as the door closed.

"So, you don't have a name." Signe murmured under her breath as she examined me thoroughly.

"My previous owner in Ireland called me Jack." I supplied helpfully.

"Hmm...Seán has a nice ring to it, and makes sense since you sound and look Irish." Signe mused.

"My name is Seán." I stated, committing the name to memory so I wouldn't forget.

"So tell me about yourself Seán." Signe prompted as she put the kettle on the oven.

"I am an American made android sent to Ireland that was originally an YK500 model, my purpose being to act as the youngest child in the McLoughlin family," I began as Signe took a seat.

"What changed?" Signe asked.

"When all of the children grew up, I was no longer needed." I stated with a shrug.

"The mother allowed me to live my own life in Ireland after my LED was transplanted into an American AX400 model, the one you see now, but my freedom only lasted for a few years."

"Why?" Signe interjected with a frown.

"I was caught by an RX900 model android designed to capture deviant androids like I was considered to be." I explained patiently before continuing.

"From there, I was shipped to Denmark and now I have been purchased by you." I finished.

"You've been everywhere." Signe observed in awe.

"Actually, I haven't been to Africa, Asia, Russia-"

"Okay I get it, I'm sorry." Signe cut me off with an exasperated sigh.

"I'm going to bed." Signe abruptly announced, brushing past me to go back up the stairs.

"Is there anything you require of me?" I called up after her.

She paused halfway up and looked down at me with that smile I was beginning to become fond of.

"Yes-don't be loud."

With that, Signe left me alone standing in the living room with no objective to complete.

As I laid down on the couch to deactivate myself, I thought of how the neighbors of my previous owners had complained about my loudness and how I was threatened to be destroyed by neighbors.

Before I closed my eyes, I heard someone open the front door, startling me awake.

Break programming to warn Signe?

Or

Wait to see who it is and what they want?