On the Run

I tried to make a step to follow Felix to help him, only to see a red grid appear as my programming prevented me from moving.

But there was a weakness.

In my mind, I began to meticulously tear through the coding, pulling at the grid in hopes to break free.

Bits of coding flew apart as I desperately fought for freedom, yearning to protect Felix as I had done all my life.

And then I was free.

I finally took a step forward, my eyes wide in surprise as I glanced back at where I was once standing.

I quickly tossed the pizza slicer aside and moved towards Felix since I was free, managing to reach the male and grab him by the arm before Ulf could get to him.

"Marzia, get back inside you fucking bitch." Ulf commanded me coldly as he took a step towards Felix.

"No, I won't let you hurt him." I protested stubbornly as I retreated back a step with Felix beside me, the Swede seeming surprised that I was by his side.

Ulf was silent as he strode towards me, slapping my face hard enough to make me lose my grip on Felix's arm and fall to the ground.

"Fucking deviants!" Ulf bellowed as he started hitting me, Felix starting to leave since he was distracted.

I opened my mouth to cry out, only to be cut off by Ulf wrapping his surprisingly strong hands around my neck and squeezing hard.

I gasped for air as I was lifted up into the air, my feet desperately lashing out to try and kick Ulf to no avail.

Felix glanced back and paused, his expression conflicted as he looked between freedom and me, the male muttering curse words under his breath as he came back to help me.

Felix hit Ulf hard enough with his bag to cause him to stumble into the road, an oncoming car hitting him with enough force to send him flying a few feet across the road.

Felix's eyes were wide in shock and fear as he put a hand over his mouth, tears shining in his eyes as he dropped his bag and ran towards his motionless father.

The car responsible sped on past the chaos without hesitation, leaving Felix and I alone to care for Ulf.

"CALL THE POLICE!" Felix screamed as he fell to his knees by his father, tears streaming freely down his face.

I immediately did as he wanted, my Thirium pump feeling like it was beating faster than usual as Felix stood up.

"We have to go, the police will destroy you if we stay." Felix mumbled numbly as he picked up his bag and looked back at me, his blue eyes rimmed red.

"Felix..." I trailed off when I realized that I had no idea what to say, confusing emotions whirling in my mind as the Swede walked over to me.

"Let's go." Felix sighed wearily, running off as police sirens grew louder towards us with each passing second.

I swallowed hard and reluctantly followed, forcing myself to not look back as I ran to catch up to Felix.

Felix was silent as we walked along the sidewalk, his head bowed while tears continued to run freely down his face.

"We should find somewhere to spend the night." I spoke up tentatively, resting a hand on his shoulder.

"I don't want to stay here in Sweden anymore, we need to escape." Felix interjected as he abruptly stopped mid-step.

"How? Neither of us have money." I reminded Felix.

A small smile lit up the Swede's face as he dug into his bag and retrieved a small envelope of cash.

"Making videos online actually pays pretty well." Felix remarked.

"Now, where should we go?" Felix added thoughtfully as he glanced over at me.

I thought of places where we could blend in or a place that didn't have android laws at all, three places showing up in my search.

Canada?

Detroit?

Las Angeles?