Two Evils

I ran towards the train with a plan in mind, already knowing that even if I did succeed, I would most definitely die in the process.

All of the surviving deviants were hiding in the last compartment of the train, the police searching the front compartments first.

"Stay here and wait for my signal, I'm getting you guys out of here." I whispered to the closed door of the compartment, murmurs of acknowledgement barely audible from inside.

I went into the engine room of the train and started the ancient machine, the train bucking slightly before beginning to crawl forward.

"What the hell? Stop that engine!"

The police charged through the compartments running towards the engine room as I picked up speed towards the closed off end of the tunnel.

I could see Lieutenant Schied commanding the officers to stand down, instructing them to jump off of the train and head for the surface.

"Here goes nothing." I muttered as I ran out of the engine room towards the back of the train where he other deviants were.

The front of the train crashed into the rock avalanche at the end of the tunnel with enough force to create a large ball of fire that sent my flying forward, my body skidding across the ground.

The explosion stopped short of us, fire and smoke filling the now open tunnel and filling my lungs as I managed to push myself up to my feet.

"What do we do?"

"Are we going to die down here?"

"There's injured people!"

Questions barraged me as I looked down the dark tunnel, my mind whirling as I struggled to comprehend everything that everyone was saying.

"We need to go down this tunnel, the police could be waiting for us if we go back. We aren't going to die down here, I won't let that happen. And for the injured, take turns transporting them and do the best you can to keep them alive until we get to the surface and find supplies." I directed, my police instincts kicking back in.

The deviants nodded and did as I said, those carrying the injured staying in the middle of the group while the weaker deviants walked behind them, myself and those that looked the most capable in the front.

"Stay on your guards, we don't know what might be down here since it's been abandoned for so long!" I shouted back to the deviants as I walked forward, the others following me.

"It's so fucking dark." The deviant next to me grumbled, pausing as they looked at me and took off the beanie.

"You're not a deviant, are you? You're just leading us to our death!" The deviant yelled, getting the other deviant's attentions.

"No, I'm not with them anymore!" I protested, wincing as the accusing deviant shoved me against the wall of the tunnel.

"Yeah right." The deviant scoffed, tossing my beanie aside and punching me hard in the face where my lip was, causing blood to trail down my mouth as my head slammed into the wall.

I blearily shook my head as I held my hands up in a sign of peace, another deviant punching me in the stomach.

I wheezed in pain as I fell to my hands and knees on the ground, the gun Captain Morrison had given me falling out of the waistband of my pants.

"Let's kill him and go before the olive track him to us." The deviant that had hit me face decided, picking up the gun and aiming it at my head.

"If I had...wanted you dead...I would've...killed you...by now." I gasped as I tried to regain my breath, looking up at the deviant.

"You could've killed us in that wreck!" The deviant shot back, earning cries of agreement from the other deviants.

I was silent as they jammed the gun against my head, their finger brushing over the trigger as I tried to think of what to say to convince them that I was on their side.

Jack?

Origin?