ELEVEN

THE SECRET BEHIND LAVENDER'S RECOVERY

It was Wednesday, the fourth of November. It was a warm day, comparatively. The grass was still distinctly visible and snow was falling in soft flakes. The lake was almost frozen over, still unsafe for skiing or even walking.

Hermione, Lavender, and Tobias were down on the castle grounds, walking. Tobias was surprisingly okay with being swung around gently by Lavender. Hermione smiled as she watched them. It was nice to walk without the added weight of Tobias.

She was hesitant at first, but Pansy had soon joined them. She'd held Tobias for a while before the little boy reached out for Lavender. Now, she walked side by side with Hermione while Lavender danced on the grass with Tobias in her arms. The boy was bundled in warm clothes, but it didn't seem to bother him. The girls seemed content with boots, an overcoat, and a warm woolen scarf. Lavender had added a beanie to her ensemble.

"Um, Granger --"

"Hermione," the brunette said automatically. "You can call me by my name Pansy."

Pansy smiled a small smile. "It'll take some getting used to, Gr -- Hermione."

"Well, I'd say we have all the time in the world, but we have to get back in twenty minutes if we wanna make curfew."

Pansy smiled. She stopped walking, so Hermione stopped too. "I just . . . I wanted to apologize, for everything. You didn't deserve to be treated the way you were just because of who you are. I was an awful person, I was a downright bitch, but yet you still let me sit with you and play with your son. Most people wouldn't do that."

Hermione didn't correct Pansy. The Slytherin had said more important things. "Pansy, the world has changed. We don't live in the same one we did seven months ago. Things have changed. We have changed. We've gone through so much, I really don't see reason in holding anything against anyone. If I'm going to blame anyone for your behaviour, I'm going to blame whoever taught you that that was the right way. You're right, I didn't deserve to be treated like that. But maybe if everyone treated the whole Slytherin house just a bit better, you would have never behaved like that in the first place. We're all to blame for everything. We're still kids, you know. We're allowed to make mistakes, just as long as we learn from them."

Pansy's eyes were wide. She had no idea what to say. Here she was, apologising to Hermione for horrid treatment, and the girl was taking blame for it. Pansy was stunned.

Hermione stuck out her hand. "Put the past behind, Pansy. It won't do to dwell on it. Friends?"

Pansy smiled a very genuine smile. "Friends," she said, going to shake Hermione's hand, letting out a shout of surprise when Hermione yanked her arm and pulled her into a hug.

"You've become a very good person, Pansy Parkinson. I'm proud of you."

Pansy would never understand why those words affected her so much, but she had a good feeling it was because she knew Hermione was taking blame for things she didn't have to.

"HERMIONE!!"

Hermione and Pansy let go of each other and rushed towards Lavender, both with Tobias first on their minds. "What? What is it?"

Lavender thrust Tobias into Hermione's arms and took off.

"Lavender! Wait!"

She glanced at Pansy and then followed. Pansy didn't hesitate to follow Hermione.

Lavender was headed straight for the Whomping Willow. "Lavender!" Hermione shouted.

It was dark, and all that pointed to Lavender was the girl's bright pink beanie bouncing along.