SEVENTEEN

MY SELF-PROCLAIMED MOTHER-IN-LAW INVITES ME TO HER NEW YEAR'S BASH

"I must say, I didn't quite believe the story about Severus stepping in a ruined potion."

Hermione scoffed. "That's fine, it's the Weasleys I have to worry about convincing, more specifically, the twins. They might announce lies to the whole world."

Narcissa looked down at the little boy. When it was clear that Tobias no longer wanted to be carried, Hermione set him down and allowed him to walk. Often, he would run ahead and then wait for Hermione and Narcissa to catch up. They walked rather slowly.

"I must admit, he does bear some striking similarities to the man. Does he remember being Severus?"

Hermione shook her head. "No, and he won't when he grows up either. During the war, Professor Snape thought he was going to die. He was dying, actually. He removed his memories and gave it to Harry for the Pensieve. To give Harry some clarity, you know. He chose to keep the memories in the Pensieve. I suppose Malfoy could show Tobias when he's older."

Narcissa nodded. "Was there no way to bring Severus back? The way he was?"

Hermione shook her head. "We went to see the Healers at St. Mungo's. They told us they'd met with the best in the field to discuss the matter. See, we ruined an ageing potion, and --"

"Ah. That makes sense."

Hermione nodded. "They said we could feed him an ageing potion daily . . . but Malfoy refused."

"And Draco decided to raise Severus on his own? While in school?"

Hermione shrugged, watching Tobias. "He did at first. We spoke to Lavender -- Lavender Brown?"

"Yes."

"Yeah, because she had a hand in the ruined potion too. She suggested that he be left in the hands of someone capable until we completed school. Tobias spent a month with the woman before she couldn't take it and gave him back. Apparently, he wouldn't stop screaming."

"Yes, well, Severus did always take kindly to Draco." She said it with slight distaste, and when she noticed Hermione's slightly confused expression, she elaborated. "He favoured my son terribly. Half the time I never knew if his Potions results were his own. I know it might seem like Draco had the better spot, but truthfully, you were both disadvantaged."

She stopped abruptly. "I'm sorry, Hermione. I'd forgotten for a moment--"

"It's all in the past, Mrs Malfoy. Besides, how could I hold a grudge against an eleven month old baby?" She smiled at Tobias as she said it.

"Maybe, but I imagine it's hard to forget?"

"To forget? Yes, very hard. But to forgive? Not so much as you'd think. I agree, it was horrible. Some nights I'd cry myself to sleep, but I was a child then. I had reason to be so affected. I'm much older now, we all are. I'm old enough to know that some things were out of my control. It's much calmer to just accept that it had happened." She smiled at Tobias again as the little boy bent to examine a stone. "He won't be like that again."

"Yes," Narcissa agreed. "He has a wonderful motherly figure to look up to."

Hermione smiled again before it froze on her face. "He's not mine," she said.

"Oh, I know. But he thinks he is. Besides, isn't your name on the birth certificate?"

Hermione's mouth fell open.

"Draco didn't say it, if you were wondering. He thinks too loudly sometimes."

Hermione closed her mouth and nodded once.