TWENTY-SIX

REST IN PEACE, MOTHER ZABINI

Draco passed Tobias to Hermione and informed her that he would be staying with Blaise. Hermione nodded and turned to leave. She was one of the last people to leave the Slytherin trio, and she walked quietly beside Harry and Ron.

"Brownie," Pansy suddenly called.

Lavender turned back and walked over to take the sleeping girl from Pansy. With one final glance at Blaise, they left.

Draco stood behind his best friend, who had by now sunk to his knees. He put a comforting hand on the older boy's shoulder. Pansy sat down next to him, for once not bothered with getting dirt on her clothes. She leaned her head on his shoulder. They all stared at the gravestone.

In loving memory of Guilia Zabini
1952 -- 2000

None of them spoke. They just stayed there, waiting for Blaise to decide he was ready to leave.

■■■■■

Pansy sighed as she walked down the stairs. Draco was politely talking to her father while his mother spoke to Althea. Draco excused himself when he noticed Pansy.

She shook her head as Draco approached her in the hallway. "He's asleep again."

"Did he eat, though?"

The girl shrugged. "He ate what I forced down his throat."

Draco sighed and for the first time since he could remember, he hugged Pansy. "He'll be fine, Pans. You know that, right?"

Pansy nodded weakly, and Draco thought he heard a sniff as she clung to him.

"Just give him some time," he said softly, gently running his hand over her head the way he had seen Hermione do for Tobias when the child was crying. "Brownie will look after Bailey for as long as needed."

Pansy nodded again. "Thank you," she managed, "for just being here."

"Anything for my friend."

■■■■■

When Ron's birthday rolled around a month later, Blaise left Pansy's house. He smiled when his little sister laughed and bounded up to him. While Draco disappeared often to Tobias or to the birthday boy, Pansy never left Blaise's side.

Ron did not throw a party. In fact, it was a rather muted even in his backyard with his family and friends huddled around him as they sang and he blew out twenty candles.

After sitting through cake and gifts with his family, Molly ushered the remaining Weasleys back inside, stating that she needed help in the kitchen.

Blaise grinned as he slung an arm over Ron's shoulder. "I cannot believe you invited Theo."

Rom shrugged, while Hermione laughed. "It was Loretta that forced Theo to come. I've actually been talking to him, and he's not that bad."

Blaise snorted. "You should see him when he's comfortable around you. I'd like to see you call him not that bad when he's pranking you and essentially ruining your life."

"Oh, come off it, mate. You know those were the highlight of your day."

Blaise turned around to see the sandy haired boy. "He talks!" Blaise joked.

Theo grinned and folded his arms. "Very funny, Zabini. So, how have you been?"

Quietly, Hermione and Ron slipped away.