TWENTY-TWO

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Molly Weasley was more than happy to watch the little boy for the night. Hermione left with her the many bottles of formula as well as the dreamless sleep potion. She then kissed the little boy goodnight and left.

Hermione, Ginny, Luna, Hannah, and Lavender stared up at the manor in awe. They had never seen it look so . . . festive, and somewhat welcoming.

"You do know the ball is inside, right?"

"Ball?" Hermione repeated, staring at Draco. "You said party."

"Party, ball, what's the difference?"

"Ball implies that dancing is involved. I did not allow these four maniacs to strap these death traps to my feet so I can dance."

"Dancing is involved," Pansy said, "but not mandatory. Relax, I'm sure you won't even have to stand up for long."

■■■■■

Hermione threw Pansy a glare every time she passed her on the floor. Narcissa had ordered -- requested -- that Draco join Blaise, and Draco informed Hermione that he refused to suffer it out alone and practically dragged her after him. It's not like he had much of a selection. It was either her or Luna. And while Luna did look rather dazzling in her sparkling white dress -- it literally sparkled -- he found Hermione to be a better conversationalist. At least he understood what Hermione was saying.

"I think she gets it, Granger."

"Yes, well, the slow dance was fine, there was minimal movement. This is just torture. I'm going to beat her with the heels when we get back to Hogwarts."

"I wouldn't put it past you, Granger."

Hermione smiled, then she frowned. "Do you think Molly is okay? I feel bad. Maybe we should've left him with McGonagall again . . . she's actually dealt with him before. I mean, she knows what to do, seeing as she's done it before. Molly just met the kid on Christmas. I feel terrible. How could I have asked her like that, so suddenly? I am a terrible human being, that's it. I'm fairly certain she on my said yes because she's Molly. Oh, I do hope he's behaving fine -- or sleeping, he's usually well-behaved when he's asleep, because he can't misbehave while he's sleeping. He's rather pleasant when he's -- What are you laughing at?"

"You're somewhat adorable when you ramble on aimlessly."

Hermione frowned. "Was that a compliment?"

"Er . . . yes?"

"Is it safe for me to accept it?"

Draco stated at her with a blank expression as they moved. "No, I've actually laced it with poison. You'll die the moment you touch it, and it will be a very painful death."

Hermione smiled. "Very funny, Malfoy."

"I thought so."

Hermione sighed. "Are we done now? Is it rude if we go sit down? Would it be rude if I just sat here?"

"Rude? I'm not sure. In everyone's way? Absolutely."

Hermione rolled her eyes. Draco grinned and led her to the nearest table, where Hermione promptly sat down. "I'm not getting up for the rest of the night," she stated.

"Not even to see the fireworks at midnight?"

"Tempting offer, Mr Malfoy."

"I swear the grass is clean. No one will notice if you're not wearing your death traps."