EIGHTEEN

MOST SECRETS ONLY STAY SECRET IF YOU EXPLICITLY CALL THEM SECRETS

Hermione smiled politely as she and Lavender sat down. A moment later, they were joined by Draco and Blaise. Blaise had a small bundle of pale green in his arms and Draco was balancing Tobias with one arm, the other being slightly preoccupied with pulling Blaise by the ear. Pansy followed quickly holding two bottles in one hand, and Theo's arm in the other.

"I found him using his sister to win girls over, Giulia," Draco said.

"I was not!" Blaise snapped as he handed Bailey back to his mother and sat down next to Lavender. Draco set Tobias next to Hermione and then sat between Tobias and Narcissa. Pansy flicked Blaise and made him switch with her so she could sit between him and Lavender, while Theo silently took the seat between his mother and Blaise.

Across the hall, Ron smiled. "I'm starting to dislike Parkinson less," he told Harry.

"You so were," Draco mumbled.

"Ms Brown," Narcissa said. "I don't believe we've met."

Lavender smiled politely. "No, Mrs Malfoy, not properly. Please, it's Lavender."

"Then you may call me by my name. Gil, Thea, Lori, these are friends of our children's, Hermione Granger and Lavender Brown."

"Yes," Althea said, "I had the pleasure of meeting Ms Granger a few moments ago."

"As did I," Loretta said with a smile.

"I too," Guilia added, smiling warmly at the Gryffindors. "Narcissa?"

"Draco, sweetheart, do you have the invitation I gave you this afternoon when I arrived?"

Draco paused with his fork of food halfway to his mouth and looked at his mother. "Yes. Why?"

She simply nodded towards Lavender. Draco shrugged and pulled an intricately designed envelope that Hermione recognised instantly out of his pocket and passed it towards Lavender.

Althea smiled at Lavender's frown. "You've befriended my daughter," she said in an explanatory tone, "I do hope you'll attend."

Lavender glanced at Hermione, who nodded and smiled. Lavender slipped the envelope into her clutch bag.

Dinner progressed smoothly.

■■■■■

After dinner was an entirely different story. Tobias had taken a liking to Bailey and was seen all through dinner standing at the side of the crib and watching her. He seemed amazed, almost as if she were some odd creature he'd never before heard of. He was after all, only eleven months old. Well, he would be a year old in fifteen days.

Hermione and Draco were both grateful. Tobias watching Bailey exist in awe meant that he was silent, in one place, and generally well behaved, which allowed them the freedom to engage with people their own age.

Hermione found the four pureblood women rather entertaining when she didn't have to keep up her proper manners. She was quite surprised the first time Guilia hooted with laughter at something Narcissa said.

Blaise didn't looked so surprised, more embarrassed, muttering a soft "Moth-er," as if he'd tried having a talk about it multiple times before. Pansy and Draco laughed at his discomfort -- until their mothers laughed too. Theo was quite proud of the fact that his mother hadn't embarrassed him, until Loretta happened to focus on the conversation and cackled at something Lavender said.

Once it was apparent that everyone had completed their dinner, Professor McGonagall took to the front of the hall.

"We are nearing eight o'clock. I must inform everyone present that it has been an absolute delight to host Christmas Eve dinner, and Hogwarts shall continue to do so every year for the foreseeable future. However, the students who wish to remain at school during this time are required to adhere to the curfew and I must ask that we all pack up for the night. Parents and students who wish to leave may do so by the Hogwarts Express, which will leave no later than ten o'clock, by the Floo Network or by any other means available. Thank you all for a wonderful evening, and Happy Christmas to all of you."