TWENTY-THREE

TOBIAS'S FIRST BIRTHDAY

The days flew by in a blur. Almost no one had remembered the date that had been written as Tobias's birth date, so when the ninth of January rolled around, almost everyone was surprised.

As per usual, Hermione entered the Great Hall last with the baby boy. Yesterday, it was Draco who was tasked with the morning routine, and he'd come last. It appeared that the little boy was determined to wake up as late as possible.

Hermione balanced Tobias on her hip, her left arm holding him secure, while her right hand held her wand which kept her Potions book afloat, turning pages as she read them.

The unanimous shout of "SURPRISE!!" from the whole school shocked Hermione so much that her book hit the floor as she held Tobias with both hands. At the front of the Great Hall, Lavender stood behind a small table with a very large cake shaped like a number one that had Tobias's name on it.

Tobias seemed to be able to read his own name, as he looked very excited and suddenly very wide awake. Hermione swept up her Potions book and dumped it in her bag, which she promptly dropped on the end of the Gryffindor table as she walked up to the front with the little boy.

"Would you look at that," Lavender said as the pair approached. "The little guy gets to celebrate his first birthday at Hogwarts."

Hermione smiled. "I totally forgot," she admitted.

Lavender shrugged. "That's why babies get godmothers. So we can remember things that mother's forget."

"Oh, shut up, Lavender," Hermione said with a smile as she set Tobias down in the baby seat Lavender had set before the cake.

And then the whole school sang for Tobias. The baby boy clapped in glee and laughed. Draco stood behind him and laughed at Blaise, who did his best to keep Tobias from smacking the cake with his little hands. He and Lavender had worked very hard on it.

Well, the House Elves helped, but they did most of it.

"Smile!" Dennis Creevey suddenly shouted, holding tightly to his older brother's camera as Blaise helped Tobias blow the single candle out.

Lavender grabbed Hermione's hand and pulled her into the picture, standing between Hermione and Draco and hugging the laughing boy from behind.

Blaise nudged Ron. "Get in there, Weasley. You're godfather, remember?"

"Don't remind him!" Draco complained.

Lavender grinned and grabbed Ron's hand and pulled him to stand next to her. Lavender hung her arm around Draco's shoulder and Ron slung an arm over Hermione's. "Don't complain Malfoy," Ron said. "This is just your firstborn. I'm sure you'll get another chance to properly choose someone."

Draco glared at Ron. "I demand godfather of your firstborn. It's only fair."

"Well, I demand godmother," Hermione said. "Lavender owes me."

"Deal," Lavender said.

"Smile!"

They smiled and Dennis captured the moment in a wonderful photograph.

■■■■■

Hermione looked through the photos Dennis had given her after breakfast. It was late, and sleep just wasn't coming, so she slipped out of bed and relit the fire in the front, curling up the corner of the couch. After a moment, she grabbed her bag and pulled out the photos.

Her favourite would have to be where she leaned forward to say something to Draco and all three of them threw their heads back in laughter, while Hermione turned to smile cheekily at the camera, Tobias smiling and clapping again, face messed with frosting. She smiled and put the photo at the bottom of the stack to look at the next one, where -- to the great amusement of everyone witness -- Tobias frowned and slapped Harry with a frosting-covered hand whole Ginny doubled over in laughter in the background.