FORTY-FOUR

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS . . . ANOTHER BABY??

Hermione sighed as she reached for her wand and pointed it up at the ceiling.

"Incendio," she mumbled, and watched the enchanted mistletoe burn to a crisp, allowing her to continue on her way. 

"Tobias Malfoy, if have to find myself caught by one more enchanted mistletoe, I will glue you and your friends to the same chair!"

Draco walked past her with two sets of used dishes floating in front of him. "Oh, so you found the ones over there, did you?"

Hermione groaned as she bent to grab Tobias's toys. "I'm really starting to wish we'd administered that potion."

Draco laughed from the kitchen. "No, you don't. You love him."

"Unfortunately," the witch grumbled as she threw yet another lego piece into its bag. "Maybe it was a bad idea to let the kids sleep here last night."

"They had fun, Hermione. Besides, we're always pawning Tobias off to everyone else. It's only fair that we mind the lot once in a while."

"Yes, I suppose you're right."

"Mummy!" Tobias called as he ran into the room excitedly.

Hermione dropped everything she had picked up and gave a short scream as she managed to snatch the boy up before he pummeled right into the coffee table.

"What happened?" Draco asked as he came into view, soap suds on the tips of his hair and on his arms.

"Nothing," Hermione said, setting Tobias down. "A certain someone forgot the rules. What did I say about running in the house?"

"That's I shouldn't."

"And what were you doing?"

"Running in the house."

"Are you going to do it again?"

"No."

"Good. Now, what did you want to tell me?"

Tobias brightened instantly, brandishing a familiar envelope. "Professor Minnie sent me a letter!"

"Let's trade. I'll see what the letter says and you pick up your toys."

Hermione swapped her bag for Tobias's letter and the little boy gladly hurried in shoving everything in the bag. Hermione pulled the letter out of the envelope that really was addressed to Tobias and unfolded it. She was vaguely aware of Draco standing over her shoulder and reading it with her.

Dear Tobias,

I hope you are well. It has been quite some time since you've visited us, and we've begun to miss you. Would you do us a favour and tell your mum and dad to attend this year's Christmas dinner? They seem to be unable to read their own letters. I look forward to hearing from you again.

With love from your favourite professor,
Minerva

"Did he read all that by himself?" Draco asked.

Tobias stood up, bag in one hand and a robot in the other. "Yes, I did. I know all the words in the letter, even Christmas! And favourite! They're very big words."

Hermione smiled as she folded up the letter again. "Yes, they are big words. What do you think, Draco? It's tonight, so we'll have to hurry up."

She turned halfway to look at the man behind her. He shrugged. "I don't see a problem."