THIRTY-ONE

SURPRISE THE MALFOY

On the fifth of June 2001, Hermione began what would become a tradition in the house. She woke up to find her baby boy in bed with her. It took a moment before she remembered waking up in the middle of the night to his soft whimpers and had taken him back to bed with her because she didn't fancy sitting on a chair and waiting for him to go back to sleep.

Hermione smiled and brushed Tobias's hair aside before kissing his forehead. Tobias stirred slightly before opening his eyes.

"Good morning, my prince," Hermione said with a smile.

"Moo morning, mummy," Tobias mumbled, yawning.

Hermione shook her head as she sat up. He'll get it eventually. Tobias sat up as well and locked his arms around Hermione. "Mummy stay."

Hermione laughed softly. "No, sweetheart. I want to go scare your father. It's his birthday, you know."

Tobias let go of Hermione and sat back on her pillow. "Daddy birfday today? Like mine?" he asked with wide eyes.

Hermione smiled. "Yes, only he's much older than you are."

"Daddy old man," Tobias said, wrinkling his nose.

"I agree. Would you like to help me wake him up?"

Tobias nodded. "I can scream?"

Hermione thought about it as she stood up and started gathering her hair into a large bun. "Yes, but not now. First we have to sneak into his room. Cam you be really quiet?"

Tobias nodded with a bright smile. "Mummy, we can throw cold water and wake daddy up like on telly!"

Hermione frowned and paused in snapping her rubberband over her hair. "Have you been watching the telly when I'm not looking?"

Tobias smiled. "I watch with daddy when mummy at work."

"Mm, in that case, yes, we can do that."

Tobias clapped his hands in glee. "Yay," he whispered, suddenly remembering that Hermione had asked him to be quiet.

Softly, they crept into Draco's room, Tobias holding on to a large mug of ice water. He had asked for a bucket, but all he could manage to carry was the mug.

"Are you ready?" Hermione whispered, gathering the end of the duvet in her hands.

Tobias nodded and waiting for Hermione to yank the covers before tossing the water onto the lump on the bed and shrieking in delight.

"Happy bir -- huh, where is your father?"

Tobias turned to shrug at Hermione, but he suddenly giggled and pointed at Hermione. "There daddy!"

Hermione barely turned around before she was lifted off the floor and tossed onto the soaked pillows. "Did you really think you could prank me?" Draco asked as he grabbed a soaking pillow and wrung it out over Hermione.

"Hey, give me props for trying," Hermione said, throwing the pillow in the general direction of Draco, succeeding in hitting him in the face. There wa silence until Tobias giggled.

"Oh, you find that funny, do you?" Draco asked the little boy with a grin.

Tobias laughed. "No! Not funny!"

Draco grabbed the baby boy and gently dropped him beside Hermione, playfully fighting with him, exaggeratedly falling when Tobias managed to hit Draco's arm.

Hermione smiled as she watched the two of them fight until Draco dropped onto his back next to Tobias. The little boy glanced first at Draco on one side, then at Hermione on the other. "I wuv mummy and daddy."