3

"that hurt?" michael asked quietly, looking up at luke who was sitting on the bathroom counter.

"a little." luke said, his teeth clamped together.

michael was sitting on the closed toilet lid, holding luke's leg still as he got little pieces of glass out with tweezers.

"well, talk to me and maybe it'll distract you." michael said, focusing on the cut.

"talk about what?" luke asked.

"why didn't you come back when you turned 18?" michael whispered.

"why didn't you come find me like you promised?" luke asked, almost quieter.

"i- ive had quite a lot going on, and you'll see what i'm talking about later. how was perth?" he asked, and luke shrugged.

"lonely. but i did fine. i wanted to come home when i turned 18, but i just couldn't. before i moved out of the shelter they let me get a job to start paying for things like an apartment, and i lived there for about two years just working so i could save up enough to come back to sydney and have some money left over to get a place to stay-"

"stay with me- i mean, if you need a place. i-"

"michael, you really don't have to do that."

"it's what best friends are for."

luke smiled, but it quickly went away when michael pulled a rather large piece of glass out.

michael could sense how luke tensed up, so he looked in his direction.

"hurts..." luke whispered.

"i'm sorry. that was the last one. i could tell it was gonna be bad." michael said, and luke nodded.

michael put medicine on the big bandaid before pressing it onto luke's leg.

"all better?" michael asked.

luke nodded, and got down, looking up to meet michael's eyes.

"you know, now that you're back it feels like you were never gone. nothing's awkward between us, and i love that." michael said quietly.

luke smiled, and tugged on michael's arm.

"come on. let's go eat, and then we can catch up, alright?"

"sounds like a plan."

-

kind of a filler /: but it was cute ?