24

"carson, i'm tired!" luke whined, laying on the blanket in the sand.

"but please!" carson laughed, shaking luke.

luke cracked a little smile, and sat up, letting carson sit on his shoulders.

"alright, michael, we'll be back." luke said, and stood up carefully, walking back out into the water one last time with carson on his shoulders since the little boy was scared of the ocean.

"okay." michael laughed, laying back. and watching the two walk down to the edge of the water in front of the pink and red sunset.

"my dad loves you." carson said quietly, watching the waves.

"and i love him."

"i know- i know that you're not my dad, but do you think you will be one day? not my real dad, but..."

"your step dad?" luke asked.

"yeah. step dad."

luke smiled a little just at the thought of it.

"is that something you would want?" luke asked.

"yes!"

"i hope so, buddy. if you want to, you could put in a good word for me. you know, tell him that he should probably marry me." luke said, and carson giggled.

"i will. i promise." carson said, and luke turned around, and saw michael walking towards them.

once he got closer, he reached up, and got carson down off of luke's shoulders.

"this might sound weird, but can i talk to carson alone for a second?" michael asked softly, and luke nodded.

"of course."

luke turned around and just watched the waves as michael and carson walked back towards the blanket. nobody else was around, and it made luke feel so calm.

luke looked back at the two boys, and felt his heart get warmer in his chest. just looking at the two of them made him so happy.

his smile grew when he saw carson start running over to him. michael slowly followed, but luke focused on catching the little boy in his arms, picking him up.

"i put in that word for you or whatever. i told my dad he should marry you." carson whispered, and luke smiled.

"oh yeah? what did he say?"

"he just told me to give you this." carson said, handing luke a small velvet box.

luke's jaw dropped as he looked at the box that was now in his hand. he looked up, and saw michael standing beside them now.

"open it! i wanna see what it is!" carson whined.

luke was at a loss for words, but he managed to sputter a few out.

"i- michael- i can't open it. i'm scared you're joking and then there won't be anything in there, and-"

"you overthink too much." michael laughed, taking the box, and kneeling in front of luke.

"luke-"

luke's eyes filled with tears, and he covered his mouth with his hand, nervously chewing on his finger.

"you're asking him right now?!" carson said, his eyes widening too.

"yes. luke, marry me, please. marry us. be a part of our family more than you already are. i love you so much. will you please be mine forever?" michael asked softly.

luke nodded quickly, and watched as michael slipped the ring on his finger.

michael stood up, and hugged luke tightly, also holding carson in their embrace.

"michael, i love you.." luke cried as he felt michael press a kiss to his head.

"i love you too, baby."

"we're a family now?" carson asked softly, and michael nodded.

"yeah, buddy. we're all a family."

carson smiled, and leaned his head against luke's.

"if i hadn't of put in a good word for you than this wouldn't be happening."