13

"my birthday is in a couple weeks."

"i know..." luke said, and carson smiled, looking back up at him. "...what do you want?"

"well. i like dinosaurs. they're my favorite." he said, and luke smiled.

"i like dinosaurs too."

carson smiled, and hugged luke's neck as michael walked into the room, done with his shower.

"dad? can i invite luke to my birthday party?" carson asked, and michael nodded, drying his hair with a towel.

"of course you can, buddy."

carson smiled, and turned around in luke's lap, facing him.

"luke, will you please come to my birthday party? it's in 13 days. i'll be 5." he said, and luke smiled at him.

"turning 5 is a big deal. how could i miss that? of course i will be there." luke said, and carson hugged his neck tightly.

they stayed like that for a minute, michael just smiling at the two.

"you're my best friend, luke." the little boy whispered, and luke laughed a bit.

"carson, what about your friends at school?" luke asked, rubbing the little boy's back.

"i don't have any." he said, and luke looked up at michael who just softly shook his head, making luke frown.

"well, you're my best friend too." luke told him, and he didn't know it, but that made carson so much happier.

"i promise i'll be there."