30

"why did my dad have to work tonight?" carson asked softly as he snuggled into luke's side.

"just to get a little extra money for the trip." luke told him, keeping his eyes focused on whatever movie carson picked.

"oh..." carson whispered before looking up at luke. "...can i ask you a question?"

"of course, baby." luke said, and looked down into the green eyes that looked just like michael's.

"you're not gonna leave like my mommy did, right?" he whispered, and luke kissed his forehead.

"of course not." luke said quietly.

"do you promise?" carson asked, and his eyes filled up with tears. "because i really don't want you to leave."

"hey, come here." luke said, and pulled the little boy onto his lap, facing him.

"do you know what love means?" luke asked softly.

"yeah."

"do you know what in love means?" luke asked, and carson shrugged.

"when you're in love with somebody, you can't ever imagine letting them go. they're your everything. you feel calm when you're around them, and you feel safe. they become a part of you."

"you're in love with my dad?" carson whispered, and luke nodded.

"i am. i always have been. sometimes people can fall out of love though. they don't feel the same for each other anymore, but me and your dad are different. i'm always gonna be in love with him, and i think i can say that he's always gonna be in love with me. me and your dad are forever. i'm not leaving him, and i'm never leaving you, okay?"

"okay." carson said, smiling a little.

luke wiped away the remainder of carson's little tears, and kissed his cheek.

"go to sleep, sweetheart. i've got you, okay?" luke whispered, and carson laid down against luke's shoulder.

luke pulled the blanket up, and closed his eyes as the two of them started to drift asleep on the couch.

"goodnight, dad."

"car-"

"i meant it this time."