17

carson laid his head on luke's shoulder as they watched happy feet, laying in the blanket fort they made in the living room.

"did you have a good birthday?" luke asked softly.

"yeah. the best ever." carson said softly, and luke pulled the blanket tighter around him, holding him close.

"well, go to sleep okay? you're worn out." luke said and carson looked up.

"i know that you and my dad broke up. you can still hang out with me though, right?" carson asked.

"yeah, buddy. maybe not every day, but i'm sure we can hang out sometimes. you'll just have to ask your dad. it's up to him, okay?" luke said, and carson nodded.

"alright. i love you, luke. goodnight."

"i love you too. goodnight, carson."

luke waited a couple minutes for the little boy to drift asleep on his shoulder before he laid him down gently, and went to find michael.

he smiled a little when he saw michael in the kitchen, doing the dishes.

"hey, need any help?" luke asked, and michael smiled a little, shaking his head, and drying his hands off.

"no. thanks though."

luke nodded, and nervously kicked his foot against the ground. "uh, carson is asleep. i was just about to head out..."

"luke, thank you for today. i knew carson was gonna be a little upset, but i didn't realize how much you really meant to him. he was completely devastated when i told him you weren't coming. he really loves you, and he needs you which makes all of this so hard for me. i want him to be happy, but i want him to be safe, you know, and i don't think you're dangerous at all. i just have to trust you." michael said quietly, and luke nodded.

"i understand. i should've been honest with you from the beginning, and i'm always gonna be sorry for that. i tried to erase everything from perth, and i should've just told you. i'm sorry, michael. i understand now, and whenever you're ready, i promise i'll never do anything to jeopardize our relationship, or me and carson's relationship." luke said softly, and michael smiled a little.

"come here.." he whispered, and luke fell into michael's arms, hugging him again.

"i still love you, luke. you know that right?" michael whispered, and luke nodded.

"yeah. sometimes it's hard to believe, but i know you do. and i love you too, michael."

"thank you for making him happy today. that's all i could ever want."

they pulled back, and luke stuck his hands in his pockets.

"he deserves to be happy. i- um- i guess i'll see you later?" luke said quietly.

"yeah. um. me and carson are going over to mom's tomorrow for dinner." michael said, and luke smiled a little.

"alright. i'll see you then."