Chapter 6

(y/n) and I walked to her small townhouse. She put the key in the lock and turned to me. "Be prepared, he likes new people."

I smiled. "Thank you for the warning." I winked at her.

She seemed taken aback as her face turned slightly pink. She quickly turned back to the door. "R-ready?"

"Yes."

She opened the door. "Pippin! I brought company!" She yelled in a sing-song voice.

We stepped inside and a black, tan, and white corgi came bounding in. He jumped on my legs, begging for me to pet him. I knelt down and pat the top of his head. "Hello, my name is Connor."

(y/n) knelt down next to me. "Hold your hand out, palm up."

I did as I was told.

She smiled and looked at Pippin. "Shake."

Pippin lifted his paw and set it on my hand. I smiled and put my thumb over it and shook it. "It's nice to meet you, Pippin."

(y/n) giggled and set her hand on my upper back. I let go of the corgi's paw and looked over at (y/n) who was only a few inches away from my face. My smile disappeared as I stared into her shining (e/c) eyes. My chest tightened again. She is so... beautiful.

My thoughts were interrupted by Pippin putting his paws on my knee and licking the bottom of my jaw. I jerked my head away, and (y/n) and I both started laughing. She picked the corgi up and hugged him as he licked her cheek. She raised the pitch of her voice as she spoke to Pippin. "Who's a good puppo? You giving our new friend kisses, huh?" She smooched the top of his head.

I suddenly got a call, it was Hank. I stood up. "Can you excuse me for a second? I need to take a call."

She smiled up at me. "Of course."

I walked into the living room, it was warm and fashionable. Quite the change from Hank's house. "Hello?"

"Where the fuck are you, Connor?"

"Um..." I glanced at (y/n) playing with Pippin on the floor in the hall. "I got a bit sidetracked."

He sounded slightly angry. "Sidetracked? What have you been doing for the past two hours?"

"I've been with (y/n)."

"For two fucking hours?"

"Relax, Lieutenant. We can't really investigate any farther, can we?"

Hank groaned. "You couldn't have at least called to say you would be late?"

"Why would I need to call?"

"Because I was worried, for fuck sake!"

I paused. "You were worried? About me?"

"Yes!"

"I'm sorry, Hank."

He sighed. "It's... fine. Just warn me next time."

"I can fill you in on what happened when I get back home."

"Sounds good. Be careful."

"I will Hank. Bye." I hung up.

"Was that Lieutenant Anderson? He sounded mad," (y/n) said, standing up.

I waved it off. "He'll be fine." I knelt down to pet the corgi at my feet. "I probably should get going, though."

She crossed her arms. "So he was mad."

"Only a little bit." I stood up again.

"Alright. Well... thanks for spending time with me." She looked down, her face turning slightly pink.

I narrowed my eyes and lifted her chin to make her look at me. "Are you feeling unwell?"

"W-what? What do you mean?" Her face turned even more red.

I placed the back of my hand on her cheek. "Your body temperature is higher than normal."

"I feel fine!"

I tilted my head and looked at her intently. "Then what is wrong?"

She knocked my hand away. "N-nothing!" I raised an eyebrow at her. "R-really, Connor!"

I knew she was lying, but I decided to drop the issue. "Okay. I'll go ahead and leave then."

She nodded. "Okay." She followed me to the door with Pippin at her heel.

I opened the door and stepped out into the cool, crisp air. I turned to (y/n). "Have a good rest of your day, (y/n)."

She smiled. "I will."

I went to turn and leave.

"Connor?"

I glanced at her again. "Yes?"

She averted her gaze and pushed her hair behind her ear. "Can I... can we... hang out again sometime?"

I smiled at her. "I would like that."

She gently bit her bottom lip. "Great. Bye."

"Bye." I turned around and walked down the street, smiling to myself. What is this feeling? It's amazing.

(y/n)'s POV

I closed the door and stood with my back against it. I held my hand to my chest, feeling my heart pounding beneath it. I slid down to the floor with what I think must have been the biggest and dumbest smile on my face. Pippin set his head on my lap. I ran my hand through his fur. "Connor really is something, huh?"

Pippin panted happily in response.

I giggled. "Yeah. I agree. He is very handsome." And those big brown puppy dog eyes. Adorable. I sighed at the thought. God, what is happening to me? I pulled Pippin to my chest and smiled into his fur.

Back to Connor, yo.

I opened the door and was greeted by Hank on the couch. "There you are, Asshole."

"Hello, Lieutenant."

"So? How was it?"

I sat on the couch and tried to keep a smile from forming on my face.

"That fun, huh?"

I broke my concentration and smiled widely. "Oh, Hank. She's so... I don't even know how to describe her."

Hank chuckled. "I can't even be mad at you now."

"What do you mean?"

He waved it off. "Don't worry about it. So what happened?"

"Well, I asked a few questions about Rhys. She said that he spaces out a lot: to the point where he is unresponsive. Unfortunately, that was all I could learn. He didn't have any grudges on anyone except for the first victim."

Hank nodded to show he was listening.

I continued. "She then asked if she could join in on some of our investigations."

Hank furrowed his brows. "What? What did you tell her?"

"I said I would talk to you about it. She could be helpful in case we run into Rhys at some point."

Hank scratched his beard. "That's true. We'll discuss this particular topic later. Tell me more."

I frowned. "Mr. Torres stopped by in the cafe."

"Fucking A... At least he didn't get you."

"He did threaten me, but I informed him that he could not overpower me. I was also lucky to have (y/n) helping me as well."

He nodded. "Good woman. What happened after he left?"

"Well, we had caused a scene, so (y/n) and I decided it would be best to leave. We visited her home so that I could meet her dog."

He chuckled. "Sounds like a good time. For the most part."

I smiled and nodded. "Yes. It was."