Meeting the Parents (Part 4)

Connor and I were reading on my bed, when we heard a knock at my bedroom door. I looked up. “Come in.”

Kati stepped in hesitantly. “Miss. (y/n). I need to speak with you.”

I glanced back at Connor. He glanced at me then back to Kati, remaining quiet. “What about?”

“I think it might be best if we talk alone.”

“Oh, okay.” I bookmarked my place and left the book on the bed. I got up and followed Kati out to the hall, closing the bedroom door behind me. “What’s up?”

She kept her voice low. “I think that you should speak to your parents about Connor.”

I lowered my voice to whisper to match her level. “Okay, why?”

She fidgeted with her hands. “Well, you see, I was in the other room, when I heard them talking and they don’t seem to like him very much. I don’t think they like the idea of you dating an android. I know it’s not really my place to give you advice on this sort of thing, but-”

“No, you’re right. Thank you, Kati.” I sighed. “Figured I’d have to talk to them about it sooner or later, anyway.”

She nodded and walked to the kitchen. I opened the bedroom door and went back in. “I need to go talk to my parents.”

He gave me an understanding nod. “Okay.”

“We’re gonna go out for a little bit.”

“Do you want me to come with you?”

I shook my head. “I think you’d better sit this one out.”

He frowned. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No! No! Of course not.”

He tilted his head. “What did Kati talk to you about?”

“She was just telling me that my parents wanted to talk about something,” I lied.

He narrowed his eyes. “Couldn’t one of your parents just come by to do that?”

I smirked. “You ask a lot of questions.”

“Well, it is a part of my job… and my programming.”

I giggled and kissed him. “I’ll be back soon, okay?”

He nodded. “Okay. Be safe.”

I smiled. “Will do.” I left the room and went to my parents in the living room.

My mom smiled at me. “Hey sweety. You need something?”

“Uh… yeah… Can we go on a drive? Just the three of us?”

She glanced at my dad with a hint of worry in her eyes. He grabbed his keys and got out of the armchair. “Let’s go.” He knew that there was always an important conversation that came with these drives. We all grabbed out coats and went out to the car.

Connor’s POV

I watched the car as it passed by the window of (y/n)’s bedroom. I closed my book and leaned back against the headboard of her bed. I knew she was lying to me about why she needed to talk to her parents. I already suspected that her parents had taken a disliking to our relationship, but I wasn’t going to let that stop me from being with her. I loved her far too much to do that.

I stood up and paced the room, tossing my coin back and forth between my hands. I couldn’t keep questions from flooding my into my mind palace. What if they ask her to break up with me? Surly she wouldn’t leave me, right? She loves me. But what if they manage to convince her? What would I do without her?