Chapter 28 (End)

Hank and I went into the station and sat at our desks. I decided to look at some files. First, I looked at the file for Jean Giles to see what her penalty ended up being for setting Jericho on fire. 8 years in prison. I personally felt like it should've been longer, but that wasn't my decision. Next, I looked at Rhys's file. He was to be sent back to CyberLife to have his "virus" removed, then he would spend a life sentence in prison. At least he isn't going to be destroyed, but I think (y/n) will still be upset.

"You looking at Rhys's file?" Hank questioned.

"Yeah. I'm going to have to tell (y/n)."

He crossed his arms and sat back in his seat. "Or maybe not. Maybe she'll see something about it on the news later."

I cast my eyes down to my desk. "I hope so. I don't want to have to be the one to give her the bad news."

"Hopefully, you won't have to."

(y/n)'s POV

I was sitting at my desk quietly, trying to find something to write about. The effort was pointless since I hadn't been in town for a week, so I had nothing to write about. I looked over to the desk next to mine. Rhys's name tag was still on it. Work just wasn't the same without him.

I needed to clear my head, so I went to the break room to grab a cup of coffee/tea. I also grabbed a snack from the snack machine. For some reason, I felt like Connor would somehow find out if I didn't eat anything. I sat at one of the tables, having my light breakfast.

My friend Mitch came into the room. "Good morning, (y/n)."

"Morning." I took a sip of my drink.

"How are things?" He seemed less bubbly than usual as he poured himself a cup of coffee.

"Alright, I guess. A lot of ups and downs."

He sat down across from me. "Let's focus on the ups for now. How're things going with your new man?"

I giggled. "Great. He's... amazing in every way. And he says that he loves me, so there's that."

Mitch smiled. "Aww. I'm so happy for you. You have to let me meet him some time."

"Actually... You've already seen him. I didn't properly introduce you two, though. My bad."

He chuckled. "I can never forgive you."

I smirked. "What about you? How are things with Thomas?"

He shrugged. "We had a small argument last night, but don't worry. We made up." He winked at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Good to know that you two are still going strong."

"Yeah." He folded his hands on the table and frowned slightly. "So uh... I suppose we should address this Rhys situation, right?"

I sighed and nodded. "Yeah. We caught him and managed to-"

He stopped me. "Yeah. I know what happened. Well, some of what happened."

I tilted my head. "What do you mean?" Ah. I guess Connor is rubbing off on me.

"I saw an article about it this morning in the online newspaper."

"You did? I haven't seen it."

He slowly stood up. "Maybe you should read it yourself. I'd rather not be the one to let you know."

I followed him with my eyes as he walked out of the room. That's not a good sign. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and went to the Detroit Newspaper website. I looked through it and found the article next to a mugshot of Rhys and began to read it.