Chapter 22

(A/N: Sorry for the late update, guys. I had a bit of writer's block trying to write this chapter, but it's here now! And yes, I know, that's just a picture of Josh, but Rhys is the same model, so I think it works fine.)  

3rd Person

The android finds the old rundown factory. He notices a spray painted logo on the door. Yeah, this is definitely it, he thinks to himself. He opens the door and cautiously steps inside. He is instantly stopped by another android, and AF200. "Who are you?" she asks.

He holds up his hand and removes the skin. "I'm expected."

She nods. "Alright. Follow me."

The male android follows the female through the halls of the factory. She turns into a small room where another android stands with his back to us. The AF200 leaves the room.

The android turns to face the other. He is a pale HR400 android with his synthetic skin and plastic coating damaged from the bridge of his nose, over his eye, half of his head, down to the back of his neck. "You must be Rhys."

Rhys looks at the damaged android and stands up straight. "I am."

"Good. My name is Ethan. We've been expecting you. Why are you here?"

Rhys hesitates, not wanting to say that he was in hiding. "I just wanted to get out of Detroit for reasons that are solely my own."

Ethan tilts his head back slightly, still keeping his gaze on Rhys. "Right."

Don't let him patronize you.

Rhys ignores the voice. "So can I stay?"

"Of course. Don't do anything stupid."

He's giving you orders? You're just going to take that?

"Yes, sir." Rhys turns to leave the room, where the AF200 is waiting.

"Are you staying?" she asks.

Rhys nods. "I'm Rhys, by the way."

She smiles. "I'm Magnolia, but everyone calls me Maggy or Mags."

"It's nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you, too. Follow me. I'll take you to the common area."

"Thank you." Rhys follows Maggy closely all the while noticing her every move.

Focus Rhys. Don't get distracted by some girl. The voice scolds.

Rhys argues with his own thoughts. What would she be distracting me from?

From your task.

What task? I have no task!

Do not let her distract you.

From what?

The voice finally shuts up, leaving Rhys without an answer.

Rhys felt a rush of relief over him. Finally. Some peace and quiet.

"You coming?"

Rhys looks up noticing that he had trailed behind Maggy. "Yes. Of course." He jogs up to walk next to her.

"So... Rhys, Where are you from?"

"Detroit."

She giggles. "Of course you are."

Rhys glances at her. "I guess I'm not the first one to come here from Detroit?"

"Definitely not. When the protests were going on over there, a lot of androids fled here."