Chapter 15

Outside movement detected. A message flashed behind my eyelids. I deactivate sleep mode and opened my eyes to look up at Hank who had walked into the kitchen. I stood up and walked over to him. He rubbed the side of his neck.

"Are you alright, Lieutenant?"

He glanced back at me. "Yeah. My neck is just a bit sore."

"Maybe you shouldn't sleep on the couch."

He nodded. "Yeah. Probably." He took a box of cereal out of one of the cabinets and set it on the table. "We aren't called in today. You should invite (y/n) somewhere."

I tilted my head. "What about you?"

He waved his hand at me. "I could use some time to myself anyway. You go have fun."

"If you insist, Lieutenant."

"I do. Give her call."

I gave him a nod and walked back into the living room, calling (y/n).

"Hello, Connor."

"Good morning (y/n). How are you?"

"I'm fine. How are you?"

I smiled. "I'm doing well, thank you. Are you doing anything today?"

"Not really. Did you want to do something?"

"I would like to, yes."

"Well, I was about to take Pippin to the park. Do you want to join us? Maybe you could bring Sumo."

"Sure. I think he would enjoy that."

"Great. Meet me at my house? We can walk from there."

"Sounds great. I will see you in a few minutes." I hung up. "Hank, can I take Sumo with me?"

"What for?" he asked with a mouth full of cereal.

"We are going to a park. (y/n) suggested I bring him."

"His leash is on the desk."

I smiled and turned to see the the leash. I went over and picked it up. Sumo jumped up and walked over to me. I looked at him. "Good morning, Sumo. Would you like to go on a walk?"

Sumo jumped up excitedly, his tail wagging wildly. I chuckled and attached the leash to his collar. He licked my hand as I pulled it away. I pat his back and headed for the door. "We will be back soon, Lieutenant."

He waved back at us, still eating his cereal.

~Time Skip~

We took a taxi to (y/n)'s house because I didn't want Sumo to get tired before we actually got to the park. I knocked on her door. When she opened it, a small corgi ran in between her legs and began sniffing Sumo, causing (y/n)'s leg to get caught in the leash. She lifted her leg out of the loop with a small laugh. "Hey Connor."

I smiled at her. "Hello (y/n)." I looked at the little dog. "That must be Pippin."

"Yeah. It is. I figured he would be jumping on your legs right now, but he seems more interested in Sumo."

Sumo walked up to (y/n) and sniffed her. She kneeled down and pet his head. "You're just a big sweetheart aren't you, Sumo? My name is (y/n)." Sumo wagged his tail happily at her touch. She giggled and stood back up and looked at me. "Ready to go?"

I nodded. "Yes." We began walking down the street, our shoulders nearly touching each other. The questions I was thinking about after my talk with Hank started to flood back into my thoughts.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked down at (y/n). "You okay, Connor? You kind of spaced out there for a minute."

"Oh, yes. I was just thinking."