CHAPTER 5

We directly head to our aunt's , since mom will arrive only by 6pm.

She works as a teacher in another school.

I'm a teacher's daughter........

"We are home, perima" Iniya informs while I collapse into a nearby chair. My throat is sore and dry.

She comes out of the kitchen to notice the dull me.

"What happened to you?" she enquires as she reaches out for my forehead, wiping her hand at the end of her saree.

"I feel a bit feverish" I reply. "Why? How come?" she asks tensely.

"That's a long story and I'll not be able to narrate it right now. All I want to do now is sleep" I groan.

"Ok! Eat two idlies and I'll give you a tablet" she says.

Ah! Finally!.........

-------------*--------------*--------------*-----------------

I have been sleeping for almost 3 hours now.

Effect of the tablet.

I didn't even realise my mom coming and leaving.

I get up only to fall back again, feeling giddy. My body feels as numb as a log and I can't get out of the slumber.

"I'll take you to your home" perima says.

Our house is at the end of the street.

"Anyways, I don't want to leave you carrying your younger brother by yourself" she jokes and points at my bag.

Our school makes us carry all the books 'just in case.....'.

We start walking, me tottering beside her unsteadily.

My aunt and uncle are childless. But they take care of us as their own. I must have been gifted to have two fathers and two mothers.

I bid goodbye to my aunt and enter my home. "I'm home amma" I say dizzily but receive no reply. I see Iniya at her desk and go to check on amma. Appa isn't home yet.

Thank god.

Mom is speaking to someone on phone, most probably amamma. But her tone is sad, unlike her. When I enter, she abruptly says goodbye to amamma while wiping her face hastily.

Wait, was she crying? But why?

Before I could ask her anything, "May I know how you caught the cold?" she asks, her voice laced with fury.

Here goes the query.......

Right now she appears like a demon wearing a saree, to me. I could literally see fire coming out of her ears and nose.

With no choice left, I narrate the long story short. Unlike Iniya, her anger is directed towards me.

Expected!

"Why on earth do you laugh like a hyena? Don't you know to laugh like a girl?" she yells.

Yeah! I'm known for my laughter. Even in a sea of people, you can easily point me out based on the sound of my laughter. It sounds absurd to my own ears too..... but I'm me and I can't change it, despite my efforts.

"Please don't tell appa about this" I request.

---------------*----------------*---------------*------------------