CHAPTER 31

An update after a very long break, I know. Was busy with college works and exams came rushing next. Sorry for the delay.

___________*____________

I never imagined that my stupid impulsive act would create such a twist in the plot.

I had noticed Athisya entering the grounds with her squad to watch the selection match, while warming up. Arjun left to greet them and I watch them with a slight pang as they exchange greetings.

'This is it! This is the chance to show off and make her notice me' I had thought. I had quite a name back in my old school for sports.

There were totally 40 students out of which 4 had to be selected. So it would be quite an expected competition. I was glad for the opportunity then.

Soon, the solo tryouts began and she cheered wildly for Arjun. And I had slight longing that she would do that for me too.

He was damn good! Not much of a surprise as I had known that he was on the team for 2 years and Aadhi for 3 years.

Dribbling the ball in and out, I spotted Athisya hoping to catch her eye. Next was going to be my turn. But she had her gaze fixed elsewhere, busy chatting with her friends, once Arjun had finished.

Keeping my eyes on her, I wraparound the ball and did a few other stylish movements to catch her attention, but she never even once glanced my way. I did a fadeaway shot that got the ball right through the hoop with perfect aim, gaining hoots and whistles. I notice many girls gawking at me as I catch the ball, but not her.

Wiping the sweat off my forehead, I launched the ball in her direction, totally losing my patience. My infuriation reflex got the better of my practical thinking, and the ball gets launched with more force than intended.

The next things worked out in a blur. Someone shouted her name, she came face to face with the ball, her eyes widened in shock and someone caught the ball a feet away from her face.

That someone happened to be Sibi.

Damn, score!

Arjun shouted my name in a dangerous tone that caused her head to finally snap to my direction.

A smirk formed on my face on its own accord. She met my eyes and her eyes held pure hatred. For me.

And I deserved it.

Only then did I realize that she was quivering, lips twitching, and sweating profusely.

She threw a grateful smile at Sibi before grabbing the ball from him and threw it in my general direction aimlessly in a daze and walked off.

Arjun and a few others run towards me, probably to tackle me down, but I dodge everyone in the desperate need to follow Athisya.

Shit, what had I done?

I did not intend to be so harsh on her. It was all on my reflex.

She seemed to be in a daze and looked like would faint any second and was barely holding up. She collapsed onto a bench and her friends seemed very worried about her. Finally what I supposed as a panic attack subdued and she was back to normal. I heaved a sigh of relief and guilt.

But I realized it was more than just a shock reflex.

That day was the beginning to me learning about her weakness and mine.

"That wasn't meant to hurt you" I said that evening, to Athisya who was perched on the mango tree, lost in her own world.