CHAPTER 24

"Hey, dude!" Mirni asks "How was the test?"

"Not bad" I reply "Actually good" I say dipping my fry in the ketchup.

"Hey!" I look up to see Arjun, Mithran and Mugilan settling down.

Finally the practical assessments have been over in three consecutive hectic days and today is a FriYay for us!

Aadhi appears and calls me "I wanna speak to you, Athisya" but his stare keeps wavering to Kavi. I call the others to wait and accompany him outside.

"What is the matter?" I ask and he shifts between his legs with no reply.

"Open up, Aadhi" I say irritation lacing my voice.

"I think I like Kavi" he breaks.

"That I know" I say as-a-matter-of-factly.

"No, not that" he interrupts "it's more than 'like'....." he admits and I clap my hand to my mouth.

"Does she know that?" I ask softly.

"Sort of............"

"Haven't you proposed yet?"

"Not yet"

"So, why are you informing me?" I ask skeptically. He looks at me sheepishly and I immediately knew what was coming even before it came.

"Hey, hey!" I shriek "No, I can't play Cupid for my own brother"

"Pleeasee......" he pleads, holding out what seems to be a letter. A love letter, huh?

"And considering our conservative family.......Impossible" I shudder.

He looks at me with puppy eyes "Back me up"

"Look, girls always fall for direct proposals. And Kavi is no exception. Wait here" I say and he offers me a boyish smile.

When I get to the table, "Kavi, do you trust me?" I ask.

"Why all of a sudden?" she asks.

"Just, tell me"

"Of course, yes"

"Then go to the mango tree in the garden"

"What is there?" she asks confused.

"A life-long worth surprise?" I say brightly with a smile "Or rather a gift of mine"

She leaves and the others pause their conversation to look at me with a quizzical look.

"Aadhi is gonna propose to her" I whisper-squeal, picking up my fries. Everyone lets out sounds of surprise and joy.

I must feel guilty actually, for leading them both into such a situation. But in reality I'm overjoyed. My bro is in love with my bestie!!

And then my family comes into view in my inner eye. But I push it back, telling myself it is up to fate and the lovebirds.

Aadhi has only 4 more months left to complete his schooling and then his marks decide his destiny. So before he leaves, he should let Kavi know his feelings for her and settle their relationship.

As I'm deep in thought I catch Mugilan smiling at me. I tilt my head raising my brows. He points to the corner of his lips and I wear a confused look. Then he points to mine. I hastily wipe off the ketchup off my chin. He chuckles shaking his head cutely.

Oh my! He looks so cute!

But his expression suddenly changes.

When I turn my head away from Mugilan wondering why he's acting odd, I get caught by Mirni's scrutinizing gaze. She gives me a what's-happening-here-that-i-don't-know look. I narrate her everything that happened other day in the lab, his challenge, and the phonecall. The past three days rushed busily and we didn't get much of a chance to interact.

The usually impatient Mirni hears me out without a word. "Really, I feel like a load has been taken off my shoulders. Now that .......I don't really know what."

"Maybe you are falling for him" she says suggestively. For a moment I am dumbstruck.

"In your dreams!" I retort. But,

"Maybe....." my inner voice says.

_____________*_____________

"Hmm.....so? What happened?" I nudge Kavi's shoulder.

"He proposed to me" Kavi blushes looking at the ground. Aw!!

Tamil girls look extra cute when they are shying out.

I grin "How? Did he go on hands and knees? Or give you flowers?"

"Nothing cheesy." She says.

"I know my bro is a thing" I say.

"He gave me a letter written by him and told me to read it once he is gone, and left. I couldn't contain my excitement and so read it then and there"

"And?" I ask holding my breath.

"And I fell for him once and for all. Deep. Too deep that I'm afraid" she says, with emotional eyes, boring through mine.

To be honest I'm afraid too. To think of the fact that we have our family to face in the future.........

"Afraid? Need not" I say squeezing her hand "You love each other and you have got me. Yamiruka bayamen (Why fear while I'm here?)?" I say trying to lighten the mood.

I always feel awkward during such emotional situations. I don't like to let emotions take control of me. She smiles reassuredly through the happy tears lining her eyes.

"What happened, then?" I urge to continue.

"I ran back to him. I badly wanted to hug him and say 'I love you too'. But we stood our distance and spoke it out."

"Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!" I squeal "It's so romantic!!"

____________*_____________

The bell goes off indicating the end of the day and I rush out bidding goodbye to everyone. I am hurrying to meet Aadhi.

"Hey, hold on" Mugilan says joining me. "See ya" I say, spotting Aadhi by my bus.

I run towards him, eager to burst out. I am longing to give him a thump on his shoulder for making the proposal good, a knock on his head for a late one and a thumbs up wishing Good luck, all at the same go.

"I said hold on" Mugilan repeats "I need to speak with you". "Later" I reply taking to my toe, but I am instantly pulled back by my arm.

"Ouch! It hurts!" I complain "What do you want Mugilan?" I shout annoyedly.

"I have been wanting to say something to you for a few days..........but you were always busy.........." He hesitates.

"Spill"

"The other day in the chemistry lab..........." he drawls.

"I told you to forget about the other day" I snap.

"Hold on.....hold on. It was me........who caused that minor explosion back there in the lab" he says guiltily.

"Oh!" is how I respond.

"I'm.........I'm sorry....." he apologizes.

"It's okay.........it's not your fault" I say "You did not do it on purpose, did you? You didn't know, after all" I dismiss.

"No, it is" he says with a woeful expression, looking at me in the eye.

"What?"

"I did it on purpose."