CHAPTER 9

"Amma" I wail "I don't want this! I'm alright!".

My God! The devil has taken a video of me, back at the hospital. My eyes bulge out as if the eyeballs are going to drop out to the ground.

Nooo!!!

I whimper as I look at the nurse who is preparing the injection. "Yeah! You are. But now, hold on to me and close your eye darling." she tries to comfort me.

"Switch it off! Please!" I yell desperately, glancing around frantically.

He shows his palm menacingly, meaning for me to place the key, but pauses the video.

"Okay, I'll give you the key, if you promise to delete the video" I say, my voice filled with dismayed authority "Deal?"

"Okay" he agrees with a smirk.

Should I smell something fishy?

I hand him the key, once he had deleted the video.

"By the way, you have got a bit of chocolate on your nose" he banters evilly, pointing to his own nose as he begins to withdraw. I wipe it off hastily but find none.

Then it dawns on my thick head!

"Do you have a backup for this video?" I shriek suddenly, to his back.

He turns back to say "Of course." incredulously, giving a thumbs up.

I stand there gaping like a buffoon, at his retreating figure.

Many people begin to catch my eye.

I retire back to my table, aghast. "He tricked me......that jerk......vile fool......stupid me...." I mumble incoherently. My friends are staring at me confusedly.

"Wait, what's the matter?" Mithran asks and I explain the situation at hand.

When I finish, I expect everyone to feel empathetic. But I'm shocked when I receive an exactly opposite reaction. They explode laughing. At me. Even Kavi. She tries to stifle her laughter, but ends up grinning.

I bury my head in my hands feeling embarrassed. Is a girl's dread for injections, that laughable?

"Hey! Stop it!" I murmur bashfully, not removing my head from my hands. Everyone halt, but continue to grin.

It's all because of that jerk....he made a complete fool out of me.

I turn to his table to find the Jerk himself grinning at me.

God? Is this my life?

--------------*--------------*---------------

Why didn't he tell me priorly?

I'm sulking while waiting for Aadhi at the spot he had informed me of, in the garden. Most of the students have cleared off and I informed Iniya and aunt that I'd be late for home today. They finally accept it after the end of a query, since I'm going to be with Aadhi.

But he's not around. So, I decide to climb onto the lower branch of a mango tree, placing my bag at its root. I take out my remaining chocolate and start nibbling on it. A gentle breeze gushes against my face and I smell the scent of the flowers around me. I feel relaxed after a very stressful day.

This is how heaven must feel like.......

Suddenly I hear approaching footsteps and catch glimpse of a silhouette.

Coming for you bro..........

I skip down behind him and tangle my left arm around his neck, meaning to strangle him, while grabbing a fistful of his hair in my right. He bends down reflexively, trying to free himself from my grip.

"What's going on........" I begin, but I'm cut off mid-sentence. "I should be the one asking it!" he shouts angrily and I realize it's not Aadhi's voice. I release the person to see who it is.

Feel my shock when I see Mr. Jerk!!

Oh no! Not again!

He straightens up and fixes his shirt and hair while I'm barely suppressing my grin.

"I didn't know you received a detention too!" I exclaim. He glares at me with fury and growls, "Thanks to you and your brother". I say "Anyways that was meant for Aadhi", referring to my earlier attack.

"Have you and your brother decided to make my days a living hell?" he spits out, vexed.

"If that is what you wish for!" I say sarcastically, taking another bite out of my chocolate. "By the way, you have got some chocolate on your chin" I remark, pointing to my own and he hesitates. "But I'm not kidding" I reassure and he wipes it off with his gaze fixed on me. His handsome eyes bear an emotion that I could not interpret.

Just then we hear someone clearing their throat and turn around to see Aadhi standing there with clenched jaw and a marked glare.

"Hey" I say while running to him and catch hold of him by his ear. He yelps in pain, "What the hell?"

"No, you seem to be in heaven. What's going on between you and Kavi?" I whisper slyly.

"Nothing" he says almost at the same second, kindling my interest.

"Ayee......." I drawl "I know you. From when did you start texting girls casually?" I ask pointedly, removing my hands from his reddened ears.

"That...........that......" he mumbles as he runs his hand through his hair sheepishly.

God! He is feeling shy!

"She told me everything" I snap and he returns no response. "It's okay......" I say mildly "You could share with me.... Are you interested in her?" He just blinks blatantly. "Okay.......Take your own time..." I give him his space. He sighs "Okay. I'll buy you pani puri if you help me with this without causing trouble".

For a moment, I'm confused whether he's referring to Kavi or the gardening and I decide it's the latter.

"Help me with watering while I remove the weeds and prune the plants and trees" he says marking the piece allotted to us. It's not that vast. Mugilan is working on the adjacent part.

I hop off to take the hose pipe and start my work, while Aadhi begins his. I water the plants, humming and whistling one of my favourite songs. The breeze is so soft and cheering and I could hear the birds' evening notes.

This is why I love gardening.

Two places that give me peace of mind are: Library and garden.

After about half an hour, "Finished Aadhi" I announce as a bee buzzes by. "Wait for another quarter of an hour before I finish mine" he says.

I settle down next to a flower bed with a book in my hand........then my eyes settle on Mugilan. He's doing all the works by himself. Poor him! But what could I do?

I think about helping him but decide against it. He still has the backup of the video............