CHAPTER 34

"Tell me why I'm here, again" I grunt to Kavi.

It's our reopening day after the rainy holidays and I'm here in the school garden, sitting in a bench along with Kavi, brooding over the works loaded over our heads already and dreaming about Jaanu's marriage, after finishing my lunch.

Yeah! I didn't tell you, did I?

The groom has been selected by our family and fortunately Jaanu likes him too! And they're getting engaged in a month! Tell me how exciting it is.

My only hope to cling to, after the opening of this hell.

Indian marriages are always awesome and pure fun!

Starting from the match making, the meeting, the acceptance, the engagement, shopping, Mehndi, Sangeet, Reception, the marriage and the nameless procedures and rituals following it, filled with such hustle and bustle.

I am bracing myself for the occasions.

And being the bride's sister and bridesmaid has its perks! (*wink*)

There was this 'interview' as I put it with my would-be mama due this weekend. And Jaanu is anxious about it or rather us.

I smile a crooked one.

That's when I spot Kiara, my fellow classmate. She's that, you know, 'the Famous Girl', especially among boys. That may be the partial reason as to why I've got no job with her.

She holds a constant grudge against me. At first, I was wondering why, then came to a conclusion that it may have something to do with 'Arjun, the charmer' as he calls himself and my handsome (self-proclaimed) cousin Aadhi, to who I was close to and who never paid attention to her.

And there was this rumour that she has been behind Mugilan now.

I smell trouble.

She comes to an abrupt halt in front of me and assumes the stance of a catwalk model.

Kavi flinches and I scowl at her.

"So, Athisya how have you been?" she asks, that was every bit filled with fake concern.

"Cut it to the point" I snap.

"Okay, as per your wish" she shrugs "Have you finally broken up with Mugilan?"

What?! When were we ever together to begin with?

"Everything is over between you two right?" she asks with what she hopes as puppy dog eyes, as I flinch.

Just as I open my mouth to reply, I feel someone beside me replying "No, it has just begun, Kiara" and it is definitely not Kavi.

I turn to see Mugilan staring down at me, with his hands behind me. Kiara leaves stomping and huffing.

I stare at him incredulously while he shrugs and asks "What? I told her the truth"

He glances behind me and I notice Kavi leaving with a discreet thumbs-up directed at him.

What the hell is happening around me?!

"Hey, Mirchi!" he greets "How have you been?"

"It's under 24 hours that you saw me last" I point out.

"Oh right" he rolls eyes.

"So, did you think about it?" he turns to meet my eyes, with hesitation and I divert my gaze.

It's overwhelming.

"It's okay" he says softly, turning me around by my chin to make me meet his eyes "It's not like I expect an answer from you. I was just curious. Of course, I don't expect you to have feelings for me now. I know you, more than you guess."