The Umbrella

Adrientte Angst

When Adrien walked into the room on his second day of school, Marinette felt her heart flutter. Since he gave her that umbrella, all she could think about was him. In only a few short hours, she had developed a MAJOR crush on him.

That's why it hurt her so much when he strode to her desk and spoke to her in the coldest voice imaginable, "I want my umbrella back by tomorrow."

Marinette sat in stunned silence while Alya fumed next to her. Adrien had been so nice yesterday. What had happened?

"What is your issue, Agreste?!" Alya stared down at the blond boy sitting in the row in front of them, anger clear on her face. Nino's expression almost mirrored hers as he sat glaring at Adrien from the next seat. Neither of them was happy with Adrien.

"She has my umbrella, and I want it back, how hard is that to understand?"

"I don't know who you think you are but you don't get to speak to anyone like that," Nino replied coldly, adjusting his hat while glaring straight into Adrien's eyes, "Especially not one of my friends."

"Oh, so you're one of Marinette's friends, then," Adrien said her name with so much hatred Marinette started to tear up. She didn't understand what she had done to make him hate her so much, and in such a short space of time, when they hadn't even seen each other!

"Adri-kins! Do you want to hang out later after school? We could go see a movie or something," Chloe's annoying high-pitched voice rang out across the class room, causing everyone's head to snap to her, before they looked between Adrien and Chloe, confused as to why he wasn't telling her not to call him that.

"Sure, do you want to pick," Adrien's reply left them stunned. Not only was he going to see a movie with Chloe, but he was letting her choose the movie as well? Was he out of his mind? Letting Chloe pick a movie was practically a death sentence, and it was like Adrien had just signed on the dotted line!

"What's going on," Alix asked from the back of the room, staring down at the people in the front seats of the classroom with disbelief.

"None of your concern," Chloe snapped. She turned to look at Marinette, "and you better stay away from MY Adri-kins from now one, got that, Marinette Dupain-Cheng?"

Everyone looked at Adrien. He had stood up to Chloe and told her to back off yesterday, would he continue it today or just be another of her mindless minions? Adrien stayed silent, arms crossed leaning back in his chair.

He didn't care.

Murmurs spread around the room. No one knew what to think.

Ms Bustier entered the room, looking around at all of her students glaring at Adrien and Chloe, "What's going on, everyone? Why are you all so angry?"

"Adrien and Chloe are being mean to Marinette and Alix," Max spoke from the back of the room. He sounded angry, but still had the normal tone of knowledge that he usually possessed.

"Adrien? Chloe? What do you have to say for yourselves," Ms Bustier set her bag on the table and leant back against her desk, crossing her arms and looking between Adrien and Chloe.

"Marinette has my umbrella and I wanted it back, everyone is blowing it out of proportion," Adrien was bored, still leaning back in his chair, his hair falling over his eyes as he spoke. The people around him glared down onto the top of his head.

"Marinette, why do you have his umbrella?"

"He gave it to me yesterday in the rain, but he walked up to me this morning and demanded I give it back."

"I was here, he was really cold and harsh this morning," Alya added, pointing down to Adrien who just rolled his eyes.

"It was super uncool," Kim agreed. Max and Alix both nodded.

"Okay, Chloe and Adrien, you both need to apologise. We need to be nice to everyone, regardless of if we're friends with them or not," Ms Bustier looked over her grumbling class, each person having some semblance of a scowl on their faces.

"No."

"Why? She had my umbrella."

"Fine. Both of you can see me after class. Please turn to page 224 so we can begin today's lesson," Ms Bustier knew she wouldn't get an apology from anyone, so she continued with the lesson.

|||

At lunch, everyone avoided and ignored Chloe, Adrien and Sabrina as they laughed loudly at their table. Since the morning class, Adrien and Chloe had sat together, isolated Sabrina and had completely disregarded everyone around them, not even stopping after Ms Mendeleiev had threatened to send them to Mr Damocles' office.

"Have you gotten your umbrella back yet, Adri-kins," Chloe's obnoxious voice cut through the rest of the conversations around them, drawing the attention of their class, including Marinette, Alya and Nino.

"Not yet, time is running out, though," Adrien threw a cold glance over his shoulder directly at Marinette, making her heart clench. She still couldn't figure out what she had done to make Adrien hate her.

Alya clenched her teeth, holding herself back from storming over to Adrien and shouting him down. No one was willing to put up with him anymore.

"What is your problem," Marinette shouted, standing up from her chair suddenly and clenching her fists angrily. Her face was contorted and slowly turning red, her eyes narrowed at the blond boy sitting with Chloe and Sabrina.

"You."

"How dare you!" Marinette was fuming. She was sick of this boy and his new attitude.

"You seem angry," Adrien smirked.

Marinette saw red. Before she knew what she was doing, she had raised her hand and slapped Adrien across the face, hard. She dropped her hand and her widened. Adrien's mouth dropped open and he placed his hand on his cheek, where a red handprint was starting to appear.

"You can have your stupid umbrella back, I don't want it anymore."

1016 words