Colour My World (Julerose)

Thank you to @Fronniefan and @soffter for the request!

The fingerprints trailed along the wall of the hallway, dotting it with pink spots. Juleka followed them, running her fingers over the same path.

She only had a few minutes to see where they lead before the fingerprints faded back away.

That was how the fingerprints worked. If your soulmate touched something, it would colour where they had touched it. The rest of the world remained in black and white, while your soulmate coloured everything in a single colour, the colour that was most in their heart.

Whoever Juleka's soulmate was, their heart was pink. It meant they were filled with love and care for everyone. They forgave people and never wanted to hurt someone. Each colour meant something different, and sometimes the colour changed, but you only ever saw the colour of your soulmate until you touched them for the first time.

After you saw the colour and realised what it was, you only had three minutes to follow the trail to the person on the other end. People would track their fingers over everything, making a map of colour no one could see. You only saw the one colour, so you had to hope your soulmate tried to leave you a trail.

Otherwise you were on your own, unless you touched them accidentally.

Of course, your task wasn't completely impossible. Until you touched, your soulmates eyes glowed the colour of their heart before turning back to normal.

Clothes and shoes glowed, but only on the inside patches that touched skin. Nothing pinned into your hair glowed, either.

Juleka started to run. While she was dreaming about her soulmate, the trail had faded and some were already gone completely. She had to hurry or she would be back to square one.

As she ran, Juleka saw the prints get brighter and more vibrant, but when they were the brightest she had ever seen them, the trail went cold and disappeared suddenly.

Juleka slumped against the wall. Again she had missed her chance. Her soulmate had been here and she had to start again. She whispered to herself, "How many times does this have to happen?"

Looking around the hall, Juleka tried to see anyone who could match the prints. The only other person around was Ivan, who was standing near a wall, confusion filling his plain grey eyes.

[C]|||

Rose watched as her fingers trailed across the wall. She never saw her soulmate touch anything, but she kept the hope that her trail helped them.

She had tried so many things before. She had written her name and class on the door of the school, yet no one talked to her about it.

Rose had ran barefoot through Paris, leaving a trail that lead to her. She had waited for an hour before she gave up. Her soulmate wasn't coming.

This time, though, she could feel her soulmate was close. Her fingers tingled. She soulmate was touching the coloured fingerprints she had left behind.

They were close to finding her.

Rose turned when she heard footsteps. Someone else was trailing their hand across the wall. They were doing the same thing as her; they were her soulmate!

Grinning like a maniac, Rose stepped towards them. When she finally took in their face she stopped short.

It was Ivan, and his eyes were the normal bland grey colour they always had been.

Rose felt her eyes water. Her lip trembled and she scrunched her eyes up.

"Rose? Are you alright?" Ivan placed a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry Ivan, I have to go. Good luck finding your soulmate." Rose turned and sprinted off, forgetting all about her quest to find her soulmate. The trail of finger prints would cut short.

[C]|||

Juleka came to school the next day, dejected.

Rose walked into the school with only a glimmer of hope.

Both girls barely mumbled a word to each other before they walked away and headed to class. Neither girl noticed the glowing eyes that would have looked back at them.

They didn't interact much before that, only words thrown back and forth without exchanging glances.

They got to class and sat down, focusing solely on their own problems.

Miss Bustier stood at the front of the class. She was one of those rare people that could see soulmates. Hers had died before she had met them, a horrible turn of events giving her a power very few people possessed.

She saw the glow of each student, like a halo surrounding them. The glow was stronger when someone was closer to their soulmate, and her class was a myriad of colours. Some where bright, some weaker, but there were few people without one. When they turned eighteen, they would gain the sorrow and powers she had.

Sabrina was one of those people. Miss Bustier only hoped that she could help Sabrina in a few years when she found out what had happened to the single person she was destined to be with.

"Today we'll be working in pairs. To avoid any confusion, you will be working with the person you share a table with. If you don't have someone next to you, you can move around a bit." Miss Bustier mapped out the groups in her head. Marinette and Adrien wouldn't end up together, neither would Alya and Nino, but they could wait.

Marinette and Adrien would realise when the time was right, and Nino and Alya already knew they were soulmates. Juleka and Rose were the main group she needed to focus on today.

Rose turned to Juleka, not seeing her eyes. "I guess we're working together. Are you okay?"

Juleka looked up. She caught Rose's eyes and gasped in shock. They were the only colour she had seen in her life. It was the glowing pink she had followed.

Rose was her soulmate.

Placing a hand on Rose's cheek, both girls gaped in awe as the world around them exploded into colour.

"I can see more than purple." Rose had only ever seen a deep purple. That specific colour meant that Juleka was careful around new people, but she cared about her friends and family.

"I can see more than pink."

"We're soulmates, Juleka." Rose threw her arms around Juleka's neck. "I'm so happy."

"So am I, Rose. Even if it took so long to find each other." Juleka leaned closer to Rose.

They were just about to kiss when Miss Bustier appeared in front of their desk. "As happy as I am for you both, there is a school rule about this."

Rose and Juleka blushed, embarrassed to have been caught by their teacher.

"Sorry, Miss Bustier," both girls spoke in unison

Miss Bustier laughed, walking away. "Just make sure your work is done by the end of the lesson!"