Chapter 2: Family

Xiao Bao knew the general way around the terrain they were in and gradually led Xiao Xiaoyao out of the forest. Along the way, they met many beasts and venomous plants. Using the accumulated combat experience she had obtained throughout the years, Xiaoyao defeated all of them along with Xiao Bao. They stopped when it got dark. Xiaoyao set up the campfire while Xiao Bao explained more about this world.

"God- I mean, Xiaoyao. Since this is your first time in a cultivation world, you must not know about the cultivation levels here."

"I don't know about this specific one, but since the dimen- place I come from has books about the levels, I have a general idea of what it's supposed to be."

"Oh?" Xiao Bao sounded very interested. "Then I won't tell you."

"Awww, why?!"

"Because, I'm sure you can figure it out on your own."

"Meanie." She huffed under her breath. "Anyway, Xiao Bao, I enjoyed the books so much, that it helped me pass time in the Divine Realm."

"Is that so?"

"Yeah!"

Xiao Bao brought out some white wine from some bag that he had been carrying along behind him. The two poured wine in each other's  cups.

"This is delicious!" she exclaimed.

It was so great, in fact, that Xiaoyao seemingly drunk herself to the point of intoxication.  

"Everyone thinks immortality is great, but it's actually another type of Hell." She drunkenly mentioned.

"Why?"

"Why? That's.......That's because it's.......it's so cruel!! Especially because of my position in the Divine Realm. Countless people have tried to scheme against me and steal my power and blood."

A sharp glint unlike a drunken person flashed through her eyes and she sighed once again. "I....why am I telling you this? Ha, I guess I've held it in for too long. Those that truly are on my side are close to none."

"Xiaoyao, I—"

"Don't say anything. I'll forget anyway. I can still recognize the condition of my body even if I'm drunk. Let me rant some more....."

Xiao Bao stayed silent.

"Xiao Bao, you should know that, since they couldn't scheme against me, they tried to get close to me and I......I treated them like family!! How....How foolish I was....!!! They backstabbed me once they found out a weakness of mine. They just wanted power, they didn't want to be friends, so.....I killed them all!! Cleanly, efficiently, emotionlessly."

She silently downed another cup. Xiao Bao silently looked down at the wine in his hands. He wanted to help, but he....

"Why don't I be your ally then?" He said quietly.

"What?" Xiaoyao responded with a dazed expression. I didn't expect that.

"I'll be your ally and....and I'll never betray you!" He repeated.

Tears clouded her eyes. She tried to suppress it, but drop by drop came out and soon, she couldn't stop crying. I guess I really was holding it in. I have allies but they respect me too much. I have an elder sister, but because of me, she.....she was.....I really need a friend, someone who will say what's on their mind without scruples.  

Xiao Bao was now completely freaked out. He had never made anyone cry before and didn't know what to do in this situation.

"Don't cry, don't cry, Xiaoyao."

"*hiccup*.....ummm, call me Big Sister. We're allies, no family now, right?" Mmm, I've always wanted a younger sibling, so this is the perfect opportunity.

Xiao Bao was stunned.

"We're not?!" She looked at him with a teary face. Tears work. They always work.

"We are! We are! Don't cry anymore, Big Sister!" He truly was at his wits end with the drunk person in front of him.

She finally stopped crying after he said that sentence......and collapsed into a dead sleep. Xiao Bao sighed as he arranged her neatly on the ground and retreated to his own corner. He silently watched her as a suspicious red cloud floated up to his cheeks. What.......is this feeling? I've never felt it when I was with others in the past. Is this....happiness?