Chapter 11: Exploring the City

'What do you plan on doing?' Hei Lianhua asked through their link.

'Hahaha, poison, of course.' Xiaoyao replied as her eyes sparkled with cunningness.

'Poison? Where are you going to get that? Which one are you going to use? Hey, hey......' Lianhua pestered.

Xiaoyao, annoyed, ignored him as she quietly exited the Xiao Family. Using the map that she had received from Xiao Bao, she made her way towards the city.

'Miss Xiaoyao, Miss Xiaoyao, tell me, tell me-'

'Call me Xiaoyao.'

'Okay, okay, but where are you going? Why to the city? Hey, come on, tell me.....'

I swear this guy is like a child! What did I do to deserve this?! Xiaoyao thought as she shook her head in exasperation.

Lianhua was still yapping away. 'Xiaoyao, Xiaoyao, I haven't been to the city in a while. Although, my physical body is destroyed, I'm still able to consume food items. So......could you please feed me?'

Xiaoyao was speechless. 'I think I should just name you Xiao Youzhi (childish) if you continue to talk.'

Lianhua sighed. 'You can't blame me. I never had the chance to indulge or be a normal child. It's normal that I'd want to act like a child in front of an ally.'

Xiaoyao became silent. 'I see....'

The two chatted for a bit more before arriving at a medicine shop.

"Welcome, customer! What are you looking for today? We have a thousand year ginseng that goes for 1000 silver coins, but if it's to save a life, we'll give you a discount of 500 silver! What do you think customer? If it's to save a life, what does money count for?" the shopkeeper announced before Xiaoyao.

Xiaoyao glanced at the so-called 'life-saving ginseng' and snorted. I can't believe a piece of bark shaped into a ginseng would be sold for so much! "Shopkeeper, who gave you this piece of bark? Shopkeeper seems like a nice person, so I couldn't bear seeing you be defamed by selling a counterfeit product!"

The crowd shot mocking gazes towards the shopkeeper, who blushed in shame. He felt horrible that he was tricking such an innocent-looking girl. The crowd surrounded him and started to berate him. Taking advantage of the commotion, Xiaoyao quickly scanned the shop and found the herbs she was looking for. She lips curled up mischievously as she walked away, leaving the shopkeeper to deal with the angry crowd.

"Interesting. How interesting." a certain man commented as he watched the show.

His face could only be described as divine. The man's lips curled up in perfect arc. His beautiful violet eyes lazily scanned the naughty girl who snuck away with the medicinal herbs and money she stole from the shop.

The man waved his sleeve. "Bai Ze."

A shadowy figure appeared out of nowhere and kneeled down on one knee. "Yes, Master."

"Go investigate that girl."

"As you wish." he disappeared, leaving the divinely handsome man with his own thoughts.

Back with Xiaoyao......

Xiaoyao stuffed her prize in a bag she brought with her.

'That was awesome!!! That guy didn't even realize that you stole from him. Haha! .....So, what poison are you going to create with those herbs? These herbs don't seem toxic to me.'

Xiaoyao sighed as she rubbed her temples to ward off an oncoming headache. 'These herbs don't create poison by themselves, but when mixed, the properties of these herbs clash and create a slow-acting poison that breaks down the victim's body.'

Lianhua's eyes bulged and his mouth was wide open. 'A-A-Amazing!! Xiaoyao, you're so cool! But....how do you know about this? Are you a goddess of poisons?'

'Lianhua, I'm a goddess of creation. As such, even if I don't have extensive knowledge of medicine or poisons, I still know a thing or two. Also.....' Xiaoyao hesitated.

'.....What? If it's difficult to say, don't say anything.'

'As someone who's lived in the Heavens, I was forced to defend myself through multiple ways. Poison was one of the methods of protection I used against my enemies.'

'.......So Heaven's society is the same as ours.'

'Yes, but much, much, much more dangerous.'

Xiaoyao looked at all the different shops and sighed in contentment. It's been a while since I last explored a human city. No guards, no assassins, no danger, no life or death situations. Just a normal day, wandering among the humans. I feel......so incredibly free.

She found an accessory that she liked and used the silver coins she also stole from the shopkeeper to buy it. The pretty green necklace shined off the sunlight accentuating Xiaoyao's beauty. Her lips curled up into a smile that dazzled the crowd.

Out of a corner, a man looked lustfully at Xiaoyao as his eyes flashed with an evil glint. Hehehe, such a marvelous beauty is soon to be mine!!

Xiaoyao glanced out of the corner of her eyes and smirked. She finished touring the rest of the shops and started wandering aimlessly around the more dangerous and isolated parts of the city.