Chapter 49: The Royal Banquet (Part 2)

A/N: I apologize!!!!!! I didn't mean to take so long!!!!! Writer's block is really terrible!!! Regardless, I hope you enjoy!

Xiaoyao tried. She really, really tried not to get in trouble. She did her best to be quiet and try to ignore everyone, sticking as close to Xiao Jin and Xiao Bao as propriety allowed.

It's really, really not her fault that these people were asking for it! Slandering her precious people like that!

Okay, yes. It was her fault.

Which is why she is in this situation.

"You stinky commoner! How dare you speak to me like that!"

"I may be a commoner, but I am still stronger than you." Xiaoyao pointed out.

The spoiled little brat spat at Xiaoyao. "Then, do you dare accept my challenge?"

"Hmph." Xiaoyao didn't deign her with an answer. She felt that she shouldn't push any further and draw more trouble than she already had.

"Well, well." The Emperor let out a hearty laugh. "We do need some entertainment! You two, spar for two incense sticks of time [1]."

[1] Two incense sticks of time: around ten minutes

Xiaoyao internally cried tears. She couldn't refuse the Emperor here!

Xiao Bao and Xiao Jin sent her a look of disbelief. How did she manage to do this?! We only left her alone for a few minutes!

What happened a few hours ago........

Xiaoyao had been standing around with a wine glass in one hand, a plate of food in another. I need something to keep my mouth busy......otherwise who knows what I'll say and who knows who I'll offend. I have to remember: Keep. Quiet.

"I bet five gold coins you would cause trouble." Hei Lianhua snickered.

"Hey! Do you not have any faith in me?!" Xiaoyao returned, annoyed.

"None." Hei Lianhua deadpanned. "None at all."

"Hey!"

"You know you're not good at keeping out of trouble."

".........I'll give you that."

Lianhua was keeping her mind busy and she appreciated that. Xiaoyao knew her mouth was unfiltered to a fault. She hated participating in politics and all the schemes as she valued loyalty and honesty. She didn't want to think about things like this no matter how much she was forced to. (But sometimes, there's never a choice......)

Xiaoyao sighed as she tried to rid herself of those thoughts. No use crying over spilt milk [2]......

[2] No use crying over spilt milk - Don't spend your time worrying about things of that past that cannot be changed.

Her gaze shifted over to Xiao Bao and Xiao Jin, who were currently being surrounded by a pack of hungry women crowd of people.

She had tried. She really, really, tried to stick close to them so that they could keep her out of trouble, but reality never works out that way.

Which is why she ended up alone in a corner.

The door opened then, announcing the arrival of the Third Prince and Seventh Prince.

Should I be worried? She had interactions with both of these princes.

When she saw Xuanyuan Ye subtly greet her with a quick gaze and turn back to his seat, she sighed in relief......that stopped short when the Third Prince directly stared at her.