Chapter 26: Jingling Forest and The Mountain of Illusions

A/N: I'm not good with Chinese names. If any of you who know Chinese have any suggestions for names, I'll try to add them in here! By the way, Happy Halloween 🎃!!

Xiaoyao woke up early that morning, made sure that Xiao Jin and Xiao Bao were asleep, and snuck out of the courtyard.

Now then~ Xiaoyao thought as she stretched. Time to go train! Yesterday's battle didn't help much. The opponent was just some insignificant adversary. Not enough for a warmup.....

Xiaoyao returned to the edge of the Demonic Forest. After inquiring around, she found out that this forest is now known as the Cursed Forest. Why 'now'? Apparently, it was previously named the Jingling (Elf) Forest. That's because there used to be a powerful clan of elves that lived there and inadvertently protected the humans from invasions whenever there was a beast tide. Basically, the elves fought off the crazed beasts and in turn kept them (unintentionally) from harming humans.

Xiaoyao looked around more and finally found a vendor selling maps of the place they were on. Xiaoyao bought the map and unrolled it. She was surprised to see that this place wasn't a continent as she originally thought, but more like a large island. The only country that existed was this place was the Ni Country. It was completely surrounded by the Jingling Forest and cut off from the rest of the world. After all, it was much too dangerous to traverse through the forest and risk string killed and eaten.

There was especially an area that she couldn't go to....the Mountain of Illusions. According to rumor, that mountain forced trespassers to face various memories. Those who could survive would be rewarded, those who didn't....well....none lived to tell the tale. However, no one passed the test and subsequently rumors of its rewards faded.

Regardless of any danger, Xiaoyao went into the forest. She calculated the time and knew she had a month before the tournament starts.

Finally, after getting enough rations for half a month, Xiaoyao set off into the forest.

The monsters near the city weren't particularly strong. Xiaoyao wipes the blood off her hands in a nearby river from killing a giant rhinoceros. It was then that Xiaoyao remembered that she forgot to get information about the various demon beast that lived in here.

Xiaoyao rummaged around in her bad to find some food and discovered a note.

"What's this?"

"To the little brat who snuck away,

Commander!! I'm not that stupid. I could see you planning your trip for a while. You're not exactly good at hiding things. Anyway, I've left some homemade food and a water sack in the bag you took. As well as notes on demon beasts.

Be careful out there!

From your irritated and worried subordinate,

Xiao Jin"

"..........."

"..........."

"........Damn it. He knew....oh well~"

According to the notes she received from Xiao Jin, the demon beasts were split up into ranks: Low-rank, intermediate-rank, high-rank, peak-rank, and the fabled divine-rank. To identify each of the ranks, look for a special mark somewhere on their body. There will be 1 mark for low-rank, 2 marks for intermediate-rank, and so on and so forth.