Chapter 42.5: What happened while Xiaoyao was gone?

A/N: Xiaoyao's name will be used interchangeably with Kartara (her original name) so try not to get confused. Also, I haven't had inspiration for Chapter 43 which is why I'm writing this Side Story.

While Xiaoyao was having a swell time in the mortal realm, in the Divine Realm.......

In a certain place in a certain room, a looming black aura could be felt for miles. Inside was a dead-tired Xiao Yun. He had been doing all the paperwork that Xiaoyao had skipped out on doing ever since she had disappeared in that spatial storm.

Apparently, after the spatial storm had calmed down, Xiao Yun rushed in to check on Xiaoyao, only to not even find a shadow of her left. He would have been worried on and for days if not for the fact that there was a Jade Essence containing a piece of her soul that had not shattered.

Xiaoyao always left these Jade Essences around ever since she one day disappeared in one of her journeys without telling anyone. When she returned, she had gotten a severe scolding by Xiao Yun, Xiao Jin, and Kai as well as the others close to her.

Learning from her mistake, Xiaoyao left these jade pieces close to them so that they wouldn't be worried anymore if she just up and disappeared.

That wasn't a problem. That wasn't why Xiao Yun was currently emitting an ominous aura. It was because.......

"Damn it, Kartara! Damn it! Why aren't you back yet?!" Xiao Yun mumbled as he continued signing off another document. "Oh-hohohoho......just wait till you come back, Kartara......Just. You. Wait. I'm going to make you pay me back in full for all the work I've done. Hehehehehehe........"

Over in the mortal realm, Xiaoyao shivered in slight trepidation. Is Xiao Yun talking bad about me again?

Two soldiers passed by the door just as they heard Xiao Yun's menacing laugh. One was a newbie while the other was a veteran. The newbie was confused.

"Why is General Xiao laughing like that? Is everything okay? Is it an enemy?"

The veteran just sighed. "It's the Commander causing trouble again."

"Commander? Commander Kartara? What did she do?" The newbie asked curiously.

"Hearing this sigh, she probably went to have fun in a mortal realm again." The veteran sighed.

"Isn't that shirking her duties?! That's no good!" The newbie had joined this army because he admired Xiaoyao's battle prowess. He was disappointed to hear how his idol had abandoned duty like that.

"No, no, no. It's nothing like that. Commander usually only takes time off when there's nothing pressing to do. However....."

"However?"

"However, this time around, Commander was solving an issue with a spatial storm and got thrown to a random world. We've searched for a while but haven't found where she is. It's entirely possible that she's been thrown into an unknown and unreachable universe."

"That's—!"

The two continued talking while they moved forward.

Xiao Yun had overheard the conversation and stopped working. He got up and stared out the window at the garden Xiaoyao had created.

Xiao Yun sighed as he glanced back and saw a certain document labeled 'important' lying flat in his desk.

Knocks were heard rapidly outside the door, shaking Xiao Yun out of his thoughts.

"Who is it?"

"It's me." A deep and languid voice replied.

"Come in."

The door opened and in entered Kai. He looked a little dispirited as he sat down on a nearby chair.

"The reason you've come is.....?" Xiao Yun prompted.

"What else? It's about that idiot." Kai replied as he rubbed his temples.

"Don't call her an idiot." Xiao Yun said, his voice tinged with anger.

"Yes, yes, yes. Anyway, I may have found a way to find her." He waved a stack of papers in front of Xiao Yun's face.

Xiao Yun took the papers from him and glanced over it.

"This is....."

"It has a low chance of working, but it's better than nothing."

"But who's going to.....?"

"Me."

"Hell no." Xiao Yun replied firmly.

"And why not?" Kai replied in an equally stubborn tone. "Kartara is out there in some unknown universe, and I....knowing her, she's probably wandering around there in a mortal body. With the strength of that most recent spatial storm, there's no telling what dangers are out there!"

So, a few days after Xiaoyao left, there was a spatial storm of increasing magnitude and strength. Kai has to step in when the others couldn't suppress it and even then, they had a hard time. The same thing happened several times after that when they tried to enter the rift again. It was like someone was trying to prevent them from following her.

Xiao Yun sighed. "That's not the reason I refused. Though I also wish for Commander's safety, I want her to grow up. She's always been like a mischievous child. Though she's restrained that personality when it matters the most, it's still not enough. She's still not mature enough. With this enemy that has barred our way forward, they could probably ensure that Commander would encounter some difficulties. Besides, what impossible situation have you seen her never get out of?"

"I haven't."

"Exactly. I just hope that this time she learns to behave a bit more and restrain her actions better."

"Very well." Kai said. He's right. Kartara has always acted like a kid. Free and wild. Though that's the good part about her, she really does need to learn to mature. Otherwise, she'll never be powerful enough to save everyone.

He turned to leave. "This idea I came up with.......I'll scrap it. For now, I'll just try and keep the rumors about her absence to a minimum."

"Mn. If you would."

The two said their farewells. Kai went out to squash malicious mouths while Xiao Yun continued the massive pile of paperwork.