Chapter 47: Etiquette

A/N: I'm sorry for being absent for so long. I just haven't had any inspiration and I was pulling my hair out about what to write!!

Xiao Jin and Xiao Bao realized that soon, the royal banquet would start. Although they found that their manners would be acceptable there, Xiaoyao's, on the other hand........

Crash

Another plate had fallen from Xiaoyao's head as she tried to walk in the proper manner that a young lady of her.......physical age should be.

...........Was nothing short of terrible.

Xiao Jin and Xiao Bao exchanged a look. What should we do?

Xiaoyao had looked more than a bit fed up trying to learn anything and everything from proper table manners, which she managed to somehow get through, to walking elegantly and how to hold a proper conversation without irritating anyone.

Xiaoyao had always been brutally honest and told everyone her honest opinion without withholding anything. This caused her to attract much unwanted attention and many, many enemies who thought poorly of this quirk of hers.

Xiao Jin shook his head. "This went as I expected. We simply have to practice more."

"More?!" Xiaoyao sighed dramatically.

"Don't complain. You brought this upon yourself for always being so......you."

"What? I can't be myself?! Why?"

"You don't want to get too involved with the royal family, correct?"

"Yeah.....so?"

Xiao Jin sighed. "So, if you bring any attention to yourself by saying something you shouldn't, it's unavoidable that the royal family will interfere, right?"

"Right....."

Xiao Jin, "*sighs* Master, think of this banquet as the same as meeting those stuffy.....buffoons."

"Them?" Xiaoyao's eyes lit up with anger. "If I ever have to meet them again, I'll beat the living-"

"That's all and well." He interrupted. "But more innocent people will die if you do that."

That shut Xiaoyao up.

Xiao Bao didn't know what was going on and could only assume that this was from her past and someone was hurt because of something offensive she said to someone with a lot power and/or status. He kept quiet and waited for Xiao Jin to finish.

Hei Lianhua, who resided in Xiaoyao's body, felt the intense fluctuations of her emotions and silently observed the exchange. He knew that Xiaoyao had a painful past through his conversations with Xiao Jin (who had opened up a bit with him), but her cheerful demeanor seemed to make him forget about that.

"So, do you understand? The Emperor of this country probably knows of your......friendship with that Xuanyuan Ye fellow. And that guy will probably step in for you if you offend anyone. So, don't do anything. Otherwise, he might be in danger."

"Okay........" Xiaoyao got it this time. I don't want my actions to implicate anyone ever again, so....I'll behave.......

"Good." He turned away. "We'll continue this tomorrow. Rest."

The next morning.....

Xiaoyao was able to walk properly. Xiao Jin sighed. One step down. Many, many more to go......

The next thing they worked on was table-manners. Something that Xiaoyao was extremely proficient in.....screwing up.

She had to understand how to eat in a refined manner.

"It's food!" She complained. "Why do I have to learn how to eat 'properly'? Why do people even need to show how refined their eating skills are?"

Xiao Jin sighed for the hundredth time that day. "I know you hate it, but it's just for a day. Bear with it."

Xiaoyao grumbled. "......Fine."

It took three days for her to get it. During those three days, aside from that table-manners, she had to learn how to talk to others. Xiao Jin and Xiao Bao knew for a fact how brutally honest Xiaoyao could be and didn't want to risk her offending anyone and having to deal with the mess that would follow.

Xiao Jin went through everything she could and couldn't say when he realized that she had fell asleep somewhere in the middle. He felt his head pulse with annoyance and brought a hand up to his temples toward off the headache.

"Master!" Xiao Jin yelled.

"Huh!" She sat straight up and wiped the drool from her mouth. "Oh.....sorry. I must have fallen asleep."

"*sigh* Master. I know you've been working hard, but we're almost done."

"Sorry, Xiao Jin." Xiaoyao scratched her head sheepishly. "I got the gist of what you said though. So, basically, you don't want me to talk at all?"

"I didn't say that."

"But that's it, right? I know you won't say it to my face, but I'm too honest. And people don't like that, right?"

Xiao Jin's eyes widened in surprise.

Xiaoyao huffed at that. "I may be slightly inarticulate at times, but I realize this. I know what effect my words have. But, I just can't stop myself. Isn't it better for people to hear the truth so that they could improve themselves?"

"Master, most would not appreciate that. Besides, a lot of the people there have lived their lives acting. For you to tear down that......they would feel vulnerable and scared and see you as a target to eliminate."

"......Why does it have to be so complicated?"

"Probably because of some's need for power, money, status. Or to satisfy their greed, vanity, or desires."

"They same as certain people we know."

"Yes." Xiao Jin closed his eyes. "Humans.....they are not so different from us. Why else would some of us take on similar forms?"

"....Mn."

"Well, enough thinking about that!" He clapped his hands together. "Let's continue!"

".....You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

Xiao Jin coughed and averted eye contact. "......No."

"....You are. Is this payback for all those times I teased you?"

"......Perhaps."

"See? You admitted it!"

Xiao Jin cleared his throat. "We are continuing."

Xiao Bao, who witnessed this from a corner, returned to his room to meditate. They seem to have their fair share of troubles too. From what I could gather, they did not have good experiences with some gods and fell into a political trap of some kind. He looked up at the ceiling in wonder. I wonder when they'll trust me enough to talk about it?

........................

Days until the royal banquet: two.