Chapter 48: The Royal Banquet (Part 1)

A/N: Sorry for taking so long!!!!! I had a writer's block and couldn't think of what to write!!!!  Anyway, I hope you enjoy the chapter!!

Xiao Bao decided to invite Xiao Yu to the banquet. He had bonded with the man through the tournament and therefore became - sort of? - friends with him.

Xiaoyao and Xiao Jin had no complaints.

They packed up all the things they needed since they planned to leave the country right after this banquet.

Xiao Bao wanted to get revenge and decided that this banquet would be the perfect chance to root out the culprits for his clan's massacre and kill them off in the palace.

The work would be done quietly, quickly, and efficiently.

"Now, Master. Let's go over everything you need to do when we arrive."

Xiaoyao huffed. "I have to be courteous and polite."

"And......?"

She sighed dramatically. "Not. Cause. Trouble."

Xiao Jin showed a satisfied smile. "Good."

"Xiao Bao, you good to go?"

"Mn."

"What's with this difference in treatment?!" Xiaoyao cried, outraged.

The two ignored her.

"Hey!"

The three - or rather four of them when Xiao Yu joined them - took a carriage to reach the palace. All the while, Xiaoyao was complaining about how bumpy the ride was, or why they couldn't just fly on swords.

That's when Xiao Yu looked puzzled at the flying swords part.

"Flying.....swords? What do you mean by that?"

Xiaoyao looked positively horrified. "What do you mean by that? Don't tell me that flying on swords is not a common method?"

"Rather than uncommon, it's unheard of!"

"Huh?!"

Xiaoyao was completely and utterly floored. Just how on earth was there no concept of flying swords????!!!!

Xiaoyao got right down into it explaining that if they managed to channel energy into swords with enough spirituality, they would be able to float.

"It's sort of like riding on a hover board!"

"Master......." Xiao Jin facepalmed.

"Ah." She forgot that this place was probably somewhere in "Ancient" times, so they would most likely have never heard of a 'hover board'........

"What's a hover board?"

"Er......well......" How to explain this? "A floating......piece of wood?"

"Oh. So you balance on.....a piece of wood?"

"Ignore that! Let's get back to flying swords......"

"Okay! From what I understand, we're supposed to pour spiritual energy into a well-made sword and it should be able to fly, directed through our spiritual energy?"

"In theory, yes. Actually, no. It should work. It should definitely work."

"Huh. I wonder why no one's thought about it....."

Xiao Jin sighed. "Sometimes......humans tend to be afraid of change. There are a few who have such 'wild' ideas, but precisely because it's wild, it's new and uncertain. Not many are willing to go down an undefined path."

"I see." Thoughts flew wildly in Xiao Bao's brain. Maybe I could......No. No. I can't. That would be drawing too much attention to myself. No matter if I publish the work anonymously, there are hidden dragons and crouching tigers that are able to find out who I am. Tch. Why does everything have to be so complicated??

They spent the rest of the time chatting about the various misadventures Xiaoyao had in the Divine Realm. From crashing the economy, to a disastrous experiment - It was hilarious though. Everyone had permanently dyed neon orange hair. -, to stumbling across an evil dragon's lair, to anything and everything.

Soon, the carriage pulled up to the venue.

The palace was indeed beautiful but nothing Xiaoyao hadn't seen before.

The gold decor surrounding the place, the cleanliness, the beautiful servants and seemingly great hospitality........all of it was nothing new.

Xiaoyao and Xiao Jin were pretty used to this. But Xiao Bao had not witnessed such beauty before.

(Xiao Yu has been to the palace before due to his status as a young master of the Xiao Family.)

"Sister, Sister!" Xiao Bao whispered excitedly. "It's so pretty......."

Xiaoyao and Xiao Jin smiled.

"If you come back with us, seeing sights like this wouldn't be an odd occurrence." Xiaoyao replied simply.

"Master!" Xiao Jin frowned.

"....*sigh*.....Xiao Jin. He'll find out sooner or later when he ascends with us. Might as well expose him now."

"But......don't worry. I'm not stupid." She sighed. "I won't show those places to him until he gets an appropriate rank."

Xiao Jin, "As long as you understand that."

"Sister, what do you mean?"

"Well—"

"We'll discuss this later." Xiao Jin interrupted.

"But—" Xiaoyao started.

"The walls have ears [1]."

[1] The walls have ears — someone might be listening in

Xiaoyao huffed. "Very well."

"Xiaoyao, what was that about?" Hei Lianhua asked.

"I have......a special status in the Divine— in the Heavens. When I bring you all to places similar to this, I'm basically declaring that you are my people." She hesitated. "My enemies......would probably capture you two and use you guys to their advantage by forcing me to bend to their will. They could do that or try to use your rankless statuses to take a jab at me— not that I care.

If I want to avoid that happening, you two will have to become powerful enough and gain a rank high enough to not......well.....drag me down."

"Oh......"

"Don't be too disheartened."

"But." The sounds of clenched fists reverberated in her mind. "But, that means we're not strong enough to be by your side as equals."

"Of course you aren't. You are simply a human. Xiao Bao may be a Celestial Spirit, But he, too, isn't strong enough. I am a goddess. Not being at my level is normal."

"I know. I know that. It's just......" He trailed off. "It's just......I don't like feeling so weak."

Xiaoyao smiled. "The sentiment is enough." She sighed. "It's more than enough."