Chapter 23: Beauty Courts Disaster (II)

Xiaoyao caught up with Xiao Jin and Xiao Bao. She felt someone staring intently at them but when she turned around to stare in the direction it was coming from, the gaze disappeared.

Was it just my imagination? Xiaoyao thought. She shook her head side to side. It must be just another one of those crazy people eyeing my two fools. Anyway, this place is quite amazing. There are so many objects of interest here.

Xiaoyao stopped at one particular store and saw an incredibly beautiful hairpin inside a glass case.

Don't get Xiaoyao wrong. Though she may be a goddess and may not care for materialistic objects, it's in her nature to be attracted to beautiful things. So, she reached out and touched the hairpin. In that instant, Xiaoyao felt a familiar chill run down her back.

No, it wasn't the gaze from before. It was the feeling she got from evil or demonic spirits.

Another possession? But this evil intent feels different. Kind of like an unfulfilled grudge. What's going on?

"Ah, another curious customer, is it? You must be wondering why you sensed a chill when you touched the hairpin, right?" said an old man that came from the inside of the shop.

Xiaoyao nodded. "Shopkeeper, what's the story behind this hairpin? .....That is, if you don't mind answering."

"Ah, no worries, no worries. I'll tell you. I've told this story many times to those who were curious. It's quite a sad story." saying this, the old man sighed. "This hairpin belongs to my daughter. She.....was a beautiful young lady with countless suitors. However, she only loved one man. He was a handsome commoner that owned only a small crafts shop. The two were inseparable and loved each other to no end. In fact, the man was the one who made the hairpin. However......."

"However?"

"One day, she came. She came and destroyed their relationship. She took away the man and locked him up in her home. This lady was famous for stealing young, handsome men and making them serve her. She was the daughter of two famous personnel, but that didn't stop my daughter from going after her love. She begged and pleaded every day outside the lady's house to give her her man back. She didn't. Instead, she got her guards to beat my precious daughter up, leaving her with her last breath. Her blood stained the hairpin and, clutching it, my daughter swore to the heavens that the lady would meet a terrible end."

Xiaoyao narrowed her eyes. Oaths to the heavens? Especially when it comes to matters like this, the heavens will pass judgment on the offenders one way or another. However, that depends on the gravity and enormity of the grudge. "What happened after that? Who was the lady?"

"My daughter ended up surviving, but crippled. She spent her days in bed and never spoke a word. My daughter, a week later, died. After all, the injuries she sustained were too much. Just before she took her last breath, she told me 'Father, no matter if I become a ghost or an evil spirit, I will never allow that woman to live a good life!'. I still remember the look on her face when she said that. Her eyes were bloodshot and red, her face distorted with a bone-chilling hatred."

Xiaoyao was silent. "Shopkeeper, who was the lady?"

"Her?" the old man sneered. "Her name is Nalan Mei. She was the one who destroyed my precious daughter's life and happiness. I will never forgive her!"

"I see.....thank you for sharing such a depressing story."

"Ah, no matter. Have a nice day, young miss!"

"You too."

.............

"What's the results?" Nalan Mei asked.